Amy (Books, College, and Other Random Things)'s Reviews > Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble

Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble by Nancy Rue

Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: good-reads-first-review, reviewed
Read in January, 2012

I won this from Good Reads.

Bryn gets in a car accident and when inspected and interrogated by the doctor reveals that the accident was caused by her abusive boyfriend, Preston. Bryn doesn’t want to press any charges, but her father presses forward with the charges. Her sister, Tara, and her mother tell her that she should know better and not have let him treated her that way. Lucky for Bryn, they are out of town and only has to deal with her Dad…until she finds out that her grandmother on her mother’s side, Windy (nicknamed Mim).

Bryn’s not really thrilled because when she visited Mim in Hawaii she was very bossy and made fun of her for saying sir and ma’am. Not only does she have to deal with Mim pushing her to surf she also faces threats of Preston’s friends that she needs to drop the charges and finds solace in a book, Real Life, that tells stories of Yeshua (Jesus).

She also has trouble trusting guys. Shaun, a guy at the Surf Shack, is always nice to her and sticks up for her when another worker, Goof, picks on her. Will Bryn find God and turn into the girl he wants her to be? Will Bryn realize that not every guy treats girls like Preston did her?

I like reading Christian Fiction books and young adult, especially when blended together. I was kind of hesitant when I saw the title and didn’t expect to like it much. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t like how her mom and sister acted like it was Bryn’s fault that she was abused. Overall, this was a really good book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriends, Burritos & an Ocean of Trouble.