Sherry Lee's Reviews > The Soul of Money: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Life

The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist

Aug 29, 11

Read in August, 2011

This book was recommended to me. As I often do, though consciously I am trying not to anymore, I read prepared to react, to judge, to criticize, to dismiss. The photo of the author on the book jacket gave me reason not to venture further (no need to explain), but I opened the book and read anyway.

However, someplace along the way, as I read THE SOUL OF MONEY, I just read, I just listened. I was most engaged with the stories, more off put by the didactic nature of the book. I will continue to ponder and explore Lynne Twist's insight into "conversation" and how positive change happens when conversations are changed and when conversation includes many of us which can happen with today's social media. However, positive changes, as she points out, can be replaced with negative conversations too. Case in point, when the conversations after 9/11 was diverted from heart and soul to "getting back to business, the business of spending money" a directive from President George W. Bush!

THE SOUL OF MONEY had implications for all of us, no matter if we have little or lots of $'s. I think most of us already know that how we get and spend our money affects our soul/is affected by our soul, but a reminder now and again is always appreciated. That said, though, I think it is more complicated than the book alludes to.

Twist also discusses why we give money and tells the story of how she returned a $50,000 contribution because she thought it was given for the wrong reason. Does giving need to be soul centered to do good in the world?

I appreciate Twist's research and hand's on knowledge of fund raising. I especially appreciate her understanding that people, for the most part, want to be self-efficient, and just a quick and temporary handing out of money, etc. isn't necessarily a fix, but can be detrimental in the long run. We think we know what people need and want, but we don't, unless we ask. Unless we sit down and have a conversation.

For what it's worth, I could see THE SOUL OF MONEY written as an essay, something I would have spent less money on, and less time reading.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Soul of Money.