Hooma's Reviews > Mr. Darcy's Diary

Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange

Aug 29, 11

Read in August, 2011

I have been wanting to read this book for quite some time. It caught my eye at Barnes and Noble a while back and I was immediately intrigued, especially since there has been a resurgence of interest and popularity in Jane Austen's classic - "Pride and Prejudice." Though I would not characterize this book as an exceptional piece of work, it was nevertheless extremely enjoyable and I finished it in one sitting.

Mr. Darcy's quiet (or rather taciturn) and brooding nature is a source of curiosity to Elizabeth Bennet's character and the reader in Pride and Prejudice. Therefore, the opportunity to delve into his thoughts by reading his personal diary was incredibly attractive. Though the book is supposed to be a "diary" it reads easily and is fast paced and keeps the reader engaged. There is a fair amount of dialogue that has been used from "Pride and Prejudice" itself so it serves as a reference to the timeline of events for the reader. While I liked the use of dialogue from Jane Austen's novel in Grange's work, there were moments where I felt like I was re-reading Pride and Prejudice and I would have preferred more of Darcy's thoughts in his own words.

"Mr. Darcy's Diary" depicts Mr. Darcy as a thoughtful man who cares deeply for his friends and family yet sometimes allows his pride to cloud his judgment and actions. Beneath the seemingly impenetrable exterior there is a sensitive and sometimes lonely individual. Since his diary one place where he confides his true feelings, it is nice to see him express his honest admiration for Elizabeth Bennet and his eventual love for her. It is incredibly refreshing to observe Darcy's growing admiration for Elizabeth's intelligence, wit and common sense and stregnth of character. I also enjoyed the tender side he demonstrated in his diary for his sister -- though we know about his extreme devotion to his sister from Pridge and Prejudice, hearing Darcy express his love for his sister added additional depth to his character.

Mr. Darcy's Diary is an all around enjoyable read and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Pride and Prejudice or considers themself a "Jane-nite."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy's Diary.