Jec Mendiola's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Apr 10, 15

In the beginning, I thought I was re-reading Looking for Alaska. Similarities are (1) awkward nerdy boy is in love with the idea of the unpredictable and full of charm girl. (2) the elaborate tactics on how to dramatically revenge on people who caused you harm that were pleasurable and fun to read. and (3) the complexity and cleverness of the characters, not to mention their witty conversations.

But then, Paper Towns tells another thought, it isn't only about the perpetual escape, it also has something to do with knowing our inner selves. We ought to base our judgment of a certain people on what he/she wants to show us and on what we want to believe about him/her, and that makes the person a different-from-who-they-really-are individual. In the process of knowing more about others, we end up knowing more about ourselves.

I admire the type of best friends Q got, they're hilarious, brilliant, real, and above all loyal; I want to be around with such people. I don't feel any disappointment on how things turned up in the end. I like how it showed the reality of life that there are people who are just like Margo, and there are possible relationships that are supposed to be left as is because of differences like life-paths, and there some paths that are better traveling alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Quotes Jec Liked

John Green
“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.”
John Green, Paper Towns