Deirdre Keating's Reviews > The Ten-Year Nap

The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer

Jun 19, 08

Read in June, 2008

I didn't like it, but I couldn't give it one star. It wasn't painful to read. And I realize it's not really fair to judge a book for not being the book you wanted it to be.

Ironically, I put down The Emperor's Children last month because I was so tired of NYC characters. Little did I know this one would be even more of that world.

I enjoyed Jill's story, her struggle of making her way in a new community, and judging herself so harshly as she bonds with her daughter. Most of the others seemed like stereotypes. And in the case of these women, perhaps "nap" was the right term. One character constantly jokes about others wondering what she does all day (most of these women have only one child, who has been in school full-time for 5 years). The author appears not to know either---we see the women drop the kids off, go to breakfast with each other, and then picking the kids up again.

I wanted a book that would reflect the world I'm discovering, of families that are sacrificing income because they value home, of women attempting to create community and be creative and smart while raising their children, and to learn more about how they reenter the world of paid work once their children are in school.

This isn't that book. That's not its fault. By the look of ratings below, others enjoyed the "Great Gatsby" storyline of Amy's disillusionment. I found it unrealistic and depressing. I'm glad it was a library check-out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten-Year Nap.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Deirdre Keating Let me know! I am amazed at how many people *loved* it.

Katherine Willis Pershey It's funny you mentioned The Emperor's Children, because I thought this was vaguely reminiscent - the writing as well as the context/characters. Not super fond of either.

Deirdre Keating Katherine---It was funny to reread this review now, thanks to your comment. I still want to read the book I describe as about "families that are sacrificing income because they value home, of women attempting to create community and be creative and smart while raising their children, and to learn more about how they reenter the world of paid work once their children are in school."

Can you make that your next book? :)