Carol's Reviews > Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me

Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler

Aug 29, 2011

bookshelves: ya-lit, school

KJ lives in Yellowstone National Park with her father, a former lawyer turned hunting and fishing guide, and is one of the most "real" characters I've met in a long time. She's klutzy, insecure, and dyslexic, but at the same time she's funny, spunky, and brave. The people in and around Yellowstone are dealing with the reintroduction of wolves to the park and all the consequences of that. The wolves become characters in the novel themselves as KJ gets caught up in the dilemma while also dealing with her demanding father and her first crush. The writing is witty and engaging, the information on wolves is plentiful but doesn't drag the story down, and there are no clear-cut good guys or bad guys--a refreshing change from too many books I've read. My only complaint is that here again we have a book with a dead mother. Why is it that so many authors make the character motherless? In this case, it would not have affected the story, but perhaps the author was trying to evoke sympathy for KJ.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me.

04/08/2016 marked as: read