Holden Attradies's Reviews > Blood & Iron

Blood & Iron by Harry Turtledove

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction, alternative-history
Read in August, 2011

This series continues to be as captivating as ever. I would say this volume of the series was even better than the previous, which kind of felt like it was dragging on a bit there at the end of the war.

It was pretty mesmerizing in a horrifying way to see the watch the Freedom parties shooting star. It was also amazing to see how easily that star was knocked back down to earth. If not for the fact that once before I had read the next few books in this series (they weren't all released when I read them through the first time) I'd be left wondering if the Freedom party was done for at the end of this book. Know whats coming to a certain extent, and knowing the Freedom party is to a certain extent supposed to parallel the Nazi party it was incredibly chilling to see Featherson's fascination with the radio during the last chapter of the book.

I'd also like to point out that the first time I read through this part of the series was during the middle of the Bush years. It is now near the middle of the Obama years. Both time periods have seen the far right of American politics showing their extremes (although in very different ways), and there are moments in this book where the mentality of people in the Freedom party are too close for comfort to the mentality of people I know who describe them self as Tea Party members. I'm definitely not saying I think the Tea party movement is trying to become a Nazi like political force, but the parallels of fascist thoughts are there. I know this is just fiction, but it comes of as pretty convincingly realistic. There are countless ways human thought can go wrong, countless ways our logic can trip up and lead us to do horrible cruel things to other people. Nationalism, fascism, fascism and class warfare are just some of those ways... In a lot of ways these books make me realize how lucky we as American's have been, having so much peace at our borders for so long.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood & Iron.