Holjo's Reviews > The Amulet

The Amulet by Alison Pensy

Aug 28, 11

Read in August, 2011

Faedra has been raised by her single Father since her Mother’s mysterious death 11 years earlier. As she nears her 18th birthday, she is becoming aware of strange and sinister things happening around her.

When her birthday finally arrives, the mysteries about her past and future are revealed to her through a most unlikely source: a communication from her dead Mother. She discovers that she is a descendent of the Guardian Fae, and that her faithful dog Faen is much more than he seems to be.

As the story progresses, Faedra learns that she is being hunted by the same Unseelie Fae who had pursued her Mother. These dangerous creatures have been instructed by an unknown villain to retrieve the Amulet that is her birthright from her Mother. The Amulet and a magical Fae book hold the power to control weather in both the human and Fae realms.

When all of the crops and trees throughout the human world begin to die at the same time, Faedra and Faen must travel to the Fae realm to locate the powerful book. She has no choice but to accept her Guardian responsibilities and fight to save both worlds.

This is a really cute story. Faedra is a young, innocent girl who cares deeply for her friends and family. She is the sort of sweet girl-next-door that most people will want to pull for. Faen’s unbending dedication to Faedra makes him a loveable hero too. Pensy does a very successful job developing the characters and plot.

I think this would be a good book choice for young teens. There is a nice combination of clean dialog, a loving family, courage, loyalty, and a sweet love story. The Fae are not the manipulative, dangerous creatures that we typically find in adult series. The Seelie Fae (the “good” Fae) are described more like Disney fairies than dangerous creatures.

I need to point out that the editing in this ebook leaves a lot to be desired. Punctuation is definitely the biggest problem, but not the only issue. With that said, I noticed on the author’s website that she has acknowledged the editing errors and has taken steps to prevent these errors in future books. She is offering a re-edited copy of The Amulet ebook through her website. If you are interested in reading this series, I highly recommend that you contact Pensy through her website http://www.alisonpensy.com/ for the newer version.

Although this book was a little too “lite” for my taste, I would definitely recommend it to paranormal lovers in the 10-17 year old range.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amulet.