Danielle's Reviews > Bailey

Bailey by Harry Bliss

Nov 23, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, for-review, childrens, turkeybird
Read in July, 2011

Bailey isn’t your average dog. Yes, he loves squirrels and bones, but he also loves school. From dancing to math Bailey spends the day doing things other kids do, only a little bit more dog-like. The question for Bailey though is, will he make the bus in time to get home from a great day at school?

Harry Bliss is the author and illustrator of over two dozens books, many of which we are huge fans of here in our home. We loved Luke On The Loose by Toon Books as well as Invisible Inkling which was out earlier this year. As for Bailey, we absolutely loved the illustrations. Both of the kiddos couldn’t get enough of Bailey wagging his tail to a song he loved or getting it messy with paint all over it. I’m wondering though if perhaps the dialogue clouds that most the characters spoke in were a bit too old for my two kiddos. It was hard for them to follow the story, especially the Turkeybird who can read most basic picture books, but with this he kept asking where to go next. I’m not giving up on this one because it’s very adorable and I think will be great when he’s a few weeks from school time, it just may need to be read with older kiddos.

Perfect for school age kids, Bailey is a fun romp through the halls of school with a very unlikely student. A dog as a fellow classmate would certainly help readers to understand what to do and not to do when they make it into the classroom themselves. No chewing on books or sleeping in class, this is just the right kind of humor to teach children to enjoy the great things about school without falling into a few bad habits. And though this wasn’t for my kiddos I’d absolutely recommend it to older readers and will be attempting it again in about a year from now.

My original review was posted at There's A Book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bailey.