David's Reviews > Curse of the Spellmans

Aug 28, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: completed
Read in August, 2011

While I thoroughly enjoyed the humor of this novel, I found it to be so disjointed and oddly organized as to be annoying. The book was chocked full of interesting characters with dysfunctional relationships that offered a good deal of humor but the plot took a backseat to the humor and sadly the humor was the central part of the book. It was funny, but it was far too cutesy. In fact it was so cutesy it came across like an episode of the naked gun. What little mystery there was got resolved in such an absurd manner that it made me want to throw the book across the room.

The author is fond of using footnotes to make her jokes and witty comments which at first succeeds and then her overuse of this mechanism becomes as welcome as Jehovah's Witnesses on the doorstep. Over and over again the reader is forced to move his eyes to the bottom of the page so he will not miss the joke. At first this is funny, but by now you can tell how annoying it became before the end of the book.

The blurbs by famous people on the back of the book liken the author to Carl Hiassan. Okay, she writes wacky stuff, but at least Hiassan does not let the humor take precedence over the story! Further, the blurb claims she is part Columbo and yet I never saw her do something remotely like our persistent beloved raincoat garbed detective. People magazine describes her as the love child of Dirty Harry and Harriet the spy. There are no "make my day" moments here leading me to wonder if the first book in this series was really different from this mediocre offering

The heroine is wittier than Parker's Spenser, but it hurts the story. She is sarcastic, to the point of being nasty

Not recommended

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curse of the Spellmans.