Courtney's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Sep 03, 11

Read from August 28 to September 04, 2011

I would have given this book four stars. I do like the beginning, what the entire theme of the story is, and what it alludes to, however, throughout half the book I felt like I was reading the first book all over again. I did like the Hunger Games (liked, but didn't love) but when I picked up this book, my thoughts were, "The Hunger games is over, so what's going to happen next?"

What happens? They practically have a repeat of the same events with new characters and a different environment. Really not that exciting. In fact, I'd rather The (original) Hunger Games to the events that happen in the Quarter Quell.

However, the other half - the less recycled half - was interesting. That's what I liked about it. I don't want to give too much away. I hate spoiler reviews, but the book is a good read for no other reason but the first 200 pages or so, and the last chapter. Those were the only parts I really liked. That and the romance during the Quell. Very sweet.

I will be getting Mockingjay. I don't see how they can recycle as many storylines in the next book, which is one reason why I'll continue reading. Also, that cliffhanger ending was pretty epic. It makes you want to read more.

As for if you should read it - I'm on the fence on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

08/28/2011 page 164
42.0% "Compelling so far. I'm hoping I can finish this in a day."