Trisha's Reviews > String Bridge

String Bridge by Jessica Bell

Jan 11, 12

bookshelves: writer-friends-books, literary-fiction
Read from January 03 to 12, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Jessica Bell's STRING BRIDGE has been hyped up all around the writer blogger world and so it's only natural I should get around to reading it eventually! Before I started, I had got to know a little bit more about the author, and found we had a fair few things in common (namely writing, nationality and music! We are both Australian singer-songwriters who write novels too). I also knew I'd look forward to the read because it was about a character I could relate to - another singer-songwriter.

Anyway, onto the book itself! The writing truly was beautiful, descriptive in a way that made me feel often that I was on the ocean, listening to the waves washing/crashing/hissing onto the shore. I could smell the exhaust fumes and feel the sapping heat of a Greek summer. I could smell the sea salt in the air. I could smell Alex's cologne even though I haven't actually ever smelled that scent (knowingly) before. haha. I could definitely relate to Melody in a lot of ways, but in other ways she was different and had many "issues" to deal with.

I knew there would be some tragedy in the book, and having read another (non-fiction) book recently dealing with the death of a child, I feared that would be the outcome in this novel too. Thankfully no kids died in the making of this book, only a mother and a husband (wow, that's mean of me, being thankful for two character deaths!!). I'm not a mother myself but there's still something very very uncomfortable about reading of children's suffering. After Tessa was injured I did fear that things would only escalate from there. I suppose they did, in a way, but not as I'd feared. Still pretty bad, though. ;)

It was strange for me reading about Melody's decision to return to Australia, because while I personally daydream of using my British passport for something more substantial than just getting in the shorter lines at airports (European airports anyway), I was excited for Melody when she decided to "go home". If I was her, I would have leaped at the chance to go home as well. And yet I also could understand her reluctance to leave the apartment she and Alex had shared. I could totally picture a scene in my head, Melody staring around the apartment thinking of all the memories that had been created. Still, I thought to myself, 'Yay!' when the decision was finally made.

All in all, despite the occasional typographical error that pulled me out of the story and made me twitch, I thought this was a wonderful read and I definitely see Jessica Bell as an author to watch! Oh, and the soundtrack that came with the book? Stunningly beautiful!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read String Bridge.