Amy's Reviews > The Reptile Room

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket

Apr 16, 08

bookshelves: childrens
Recommended to Amy by: online friend
Read in April, 2008

This was a definite improvement over The Bad Beginning, I thought. Although a Series of Unfortunate Events certainly does befall the young Baudelaire orphans, there is physical harm whatsoever that comes to them, which was one of my major dislikes of the first book. In fact, it could be said that the unfortunate events happen around the Baudelaires, rather than to them, which I think makes this installment far more palatable than its predecessor.
Additionally, even though the book does end with a bit of sadness, the Baudelaire orphans triumph over Count Olaf (not a spoiler, really) and share some fond memories of relatives, so, although their situation is once again unsettled as the story closes, there is practically a happy ending.
The writing, too, is improved over the first book, with fewer plot contrivances. Also, though the vocabularial explanations in the narritive text are entertaining, there was definite overuse of the 'We know what it means!' dialogue exchange; I find myself hoping that will be retired in the next installment.
I try to think of how I would have read these books as a child, and I have to say that I don't think I would have liked them - I don't see them meshing real well with Judy Blume and the Sweet Valley High oeuvre. Plus, a little scary, 'cause I was a big baby. But, based on the two I've read so far, I can understand why they are so popular with the adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Reptile Room.