Paul Bryant's Reviews > The Acme Novelty Library #20

The Acme Novelty Library #20 by Chris Ware

Aug 28, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novelly-stuff
Read in August, 2011

Out of the vasty deeps of Barnes & Noble, Union Square, came this strange thing which I could not resist, and which I now understand to be the latest in a work in progress by this guy Chris Ware who was a new name to me, and who, like a great many graphic novelists, likes to make gorgeous inventive graphic works about the most miserable, unglamorous, quotidian characters, such as the hideous jerk in this tale, Jordan Lint. The entire life of Lint is told in glimpses, refractions, splintered shards, half-heard conversations, half-scenes, telling juxtapositions, creepy vignettes, off-centred jumpcuts and disjointedness. I thought this method was very beautiful, it told a tired and only half-interesting story, if you could call it that, in a completely original and exciting way. If I was rich I'd immediately get the rest of Chris Ware's stuff tomorrow, but graphic novels are so expensive so it'll be a long time coming.
After moaning and grizzling about experimental novels recently I was thrilled to stumble over this Acme Novelty Library thing. Let the bells ring out, let there be general rejoicing, there are new things under the sun.
8 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Acme Novelty Library #20.

Maru Kun Thanks for the review of this which looks really interesting.

But I just wanted to share with you that whenever I go to New York I always make a point of going to the Union Square branch of Barnes and Noble and then always make a point of looking at the graphic novel section.

I am pleased to know I am not alone in my eccentricities!

Paul Bryant I am separated from New York by the Atlantic Ocean or I would go there every other week.

message 3: by David (new)

David Cerruti Another visit this year?

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Bevilaqua Yeah--that whole "Atlantic Ocean" thing just doesn't fly as an excuse not to be in NYC (particularly downtown, where the Union Square B & N and various other wondrous things are located) as often as possible.

So what the hell am I doing in Florida these days?!!

Paul Bryant Ah, David, that would be grand.