Christie's Reviews > The Forever Queen

The Forever Queen by Helen Hollick

I like big books and I cannot lie. I do not know what it is about 500+ page books, but something draws me to them. Maybe its the feeling of accomplishment that comes with knowing I read so many pages, maybe its that a big book usually means a deep, epic story. All I know is that when I saw this book come in the library I had to have it. I forgot all about the dozens of books I already had at home and on my TBR list.

I am so glad I picked this book up. This book was amazing. The author has a great command of the English language. I really felt like I was there with Emma and Cnut and Godwine back in Medieval England. It was a really beautiful book about a time period very few people know about. I had come across Emma of Normandy in some of my random reading about the royalty of England, but I had never realized that when I saw Aethelred and Cnut were both married to an Emma of Normandy, it was the same Emma of Normandy! I really loved reading so much about this woman and her amazing life. I admit I hated her some times, but I think that is the mark of a good writer that she can write characters that can make you feel such strong emotions towards.

The only issue I had with the book was that since it covered nearly 40 years it was sometimes hard to keep up with how much time had passed without referring back to the individual chapter headers (which were awesome by the way with dates and locations). Other than that, I thought the book was absolutely amazing and cannot wait to read I Am the Chosen King.

Reading Scavenger Hunt: Live chicken (not being served for dinner)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forever Queen.

Quotes Christie Liked

Helen Hollick
“One day, lad, your eyes will light upon a woman, and you will never forget that glint in her eye, that toss of her head, or sway of her hips. You will dream of her, whether you are asleep of awake. She will possess your mind, and your body will be on fire for her. Nothing will ever erase the linger of her scent in your nostrils, the touch of her hand on your body, the feel of her flesh beneath your fingers.

When you find a woman to love, Cnut, your life changes forever.”
tags: love, women

Helen Hollick
“Emma felt frightened, apprehensive, yes, but also elated and excited, her feelings all tumbled and mixed together like a stew of varied ingredients tossed into the same pot. She was aware of the blood coursing through her veins, the beat of her heart, the breath in her lungs. Was aware, too, of that clenched knot that hung in the pit of her stomach. This was what it was to be alive, to be at the edge, facing survival eye to eye, knowing, KNOWING, you would win.”

Helen Hollick
“Leofgifu was skeptical, but then she always was with men. None of them could be trusted; they covered you in kisses and promises, then vanished, leaving nothing but a torn heart, and ofttimes a swelling belly.”
tags: men