Andy Shuping's Reviews > Mister Wonderful: A Love Story

Mister Wonderful by Daniel Clowes

Aug 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novel

Marshall, a slightly balding, aging man, once divorced who waits patiently at the local bar for his date. He's not sure of anything about her, except that she's in his "age range" (whatever that is)...and she's late. Very late. After an hour she shows up and Marshall is still there and is convinced that she's prefect. He can imagine their life together as they talk and he realizes how perfect she is for him. And then...the mishaps occur. And life intervenes as it always does. And we're left waiting...and wondering. What happens in the future?

This book was born from a serialized story for the "New York Times Magazine" with over 40 pages of additional material. But you would never know that...the story is quite well told and it's easy to imagine that you know someone like Marshall or Natalie. And yet...at the same time it's hard to relate to them. They're both so neurotic and absolutely unappealing that you don't want to know them. There just isn't anything likable about them at all and seemingly nothing redeeming about them. It is a short book, but you still feel like you get to know them. Also bothering me is that at times one or both of the characters are communicating and Marshall's inner thoughts cover up the dialogue. I want to know what the frack they're saying! Mostly because they make reference to it in the story, but never really fill us in on what when on. It's just aggravating to see hints of it, but not find anything out.

The best part of the book to me are Daniel Clowe's illustrations. Other than that...I'm not sure this book will ever be a favorite of mine. It's good, but it feels more aggravating than anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mister Wonderful.