Melindeeloo's Reviews > Archangel's Blade

Archangel's Blade by Nalini Singh

Sep 03, 11

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, paranormal-romance-vampire, favorites
Read on August 28, 2011

As a fan of Singh's Guild Hunters I am ashamed to admit that I was not looking forward to Archangel's Blade. Raphael's Second, vampire Dmitri, with his taste for pain and the way that he has wielded his deadly sensuality as a weapon in previous books, was just too cruel for me to imagine as a leading man, so I did not expect to like his story. However, the first third of Archangel's Blade was so captivating that even though I still wasn't sold on Dmitri, I found myself turning the pages as Singh weaves Dmitri's history and the pain he has carried with him for a thousand years into the two hunts that make up the background story. After that point, Singh begins the subtle shift that manages to turn the monster into a hero, still cruel and violent - because that is necessary when dealing with wayward immortals - but a hero still to his heroine, and to those who have earned his trust and protection.

As much as I was surprised by how much I liked Archangel's Blade, and Dmitri himself once we get an idea of 'who' he really is, I was almost as surprised by Dmitri's heroine Honor. Honor, the Guild Hunter who had been held captive as a blood toy and continuously and violently violated by vampires during her imprisonment, starts out so broken and withdrawn that she is barely functional. It is rare that an abused heroine's return to life and sensuality is handled well in romances, but somehow Singh manages it - and she does it without the repetitive torture filled flashbacks that were a bit distracting with Elena. I think that the reason it works so well here is that Singh doesn't hurry Honor through her recovery - there are breakthroughs, and relapses, and defining moments until finally Honor ends up even 'more' than the person that she was before. And I really liked that somehow, as Honor – with Dmitri's help - tracks down her abusers and slowly regains herself, Honor also gains a power over Dmitri in that she truly 'sees' him for the loyal protector he no longer believes himself to be. For me this re-balancing of power was crucial in allowing me to believe in a happily ever after for the pair.

Like the other Guild Hunter books, Angel's Blade is dark, and has the graphic aftermath of extreme violence but in the end it is an excellent entry to the series and makes me glad that Singh has decided to give us more insight into the Seven. As much as I love Elena and Raphael, I don't mind them moving to supporting roles in order to get more of the Cadre's back stories, and it's exciting to see the foundation being laid for future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Blade.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jasmin I'm glad you like it. I'm not to excited about this book either, I hope I like it once I read it.

Melindeeloo Hope so too. I don't know how much difference having the first book fresher in mind would have made to my enjoyment of this one. In some ways Dmitri is easier to humanize than Raphael was - at least Dmitri was human once. Let me know what you think:)

Jasmin Yes, But I think It's better that Nalini did not completely inhumanize Raphael. Atleast I would not have believe it since Raphael started out so cold.

Melindeeloo Good point, I agree that Raphael is more interesting that way.

Marisol I think a lot of us fans wanted maybe Bluebell's book to be next. But I am so glad that she wrote this book & that I read it. Fantastic!

Melindeeloo I really like him too, and Venom moved way up on my list after this one.

Jasmin I'm reading the book right now and I really like Dmitri and Honor.

Grammy 1 Yes Venom is #2 after Bluebell!

Melindeeloo You know, I'd really like to read a short with Illium's past, even though it would be sad.

Grammy 1 Really a short????She has been giving us images into what happened slowly about his human...I hope he finds a HEA before he ruffles Raphaels feathers

Melindeeloo Grammy wrote: "Really a short????She has been giving us images into what happened slowly about his human...I hope he finds a HEA before he ruffles Raphaels feathers"

I was thinking a short for now, and then more later with a HEA - I wasn't sure I'd like to see him sooo in love with someone else in a book with his new romance.
I know it worked in Dmitri's book, but I really want to know more about the old romance - I guess it could work to see it as flashbacks but I'd like more than just the hints ...

Grammy 1 you're right...I think our short for now might be our author starting to give us these tell tale little high lights into his background...So far we have discerned he loved a mortal, he told her too much and she had her memory wiped....