Rachel's Reviews > The Fairy-Tale Detectives

The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

Apr 17, 08

liked it
Recommended for: children under twelve, especially girls
Read in April, 2008

My ten-year-old sister reads all sorts of stuff, and I kind of feel a responsibility to make sure that what she's reading has some literary value. Hence, my discovery of "The Sisters Grimm" series.

My initial reaction was that the style of the writing didn't fit the heftiness of the book itself. Weighing in at almost two hundred pages, I was expecting a little more literary depth. The premise is fun; bringing "fairy tale" characters to life and using two ordinary girls as the protagonists definitely appeals to a lot of young readers. However, the dialogue was a little too cutesy for my taste and I didn't feel the Everafters (Buckley's lingo for "fairy tale" characters) were developed and utilized to their full potential. Maybe later installments in the series will delve more into the lives of the Everafters, but I would have loved to have sat in on a class taught by Snow White, or observed Jack selling his big and tall men's clothing. I think it would have given the one-note "fairy tale" characters more diversity and made the entire book exponentially more interesting.

Admittedly, though, I must give the author props for not pandering to grown-ups. I think too many "children's" movies, books, magazines, etc., are geared towards keeping the parents captivated as well as their kids. This is not outstanding writing, and I think when my sister (who loves "The Sisters Grimm") grows up she will realize it...but, as a kid, I think she had every right to enjoy the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fairy-Tale Detectives.

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina I applaud you for your fairness.

Samantha I totally agree with you, Tina!

Samantha I totally agree with you, Tina!