Janine's Reviews > Mistwood

Mistwood by Leah Cypess

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended for: Fantasy readers sick of the farm boy cliche
Read from August 28 to September 22, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** This book really surprised me. When I first started reading I didn't really like it. I thought it was going to be one of those books that took me forever to finish and when I did finish I didn't care for so. The kind that would never be taken out of my book case.

Boy was I wrong!

About maybe 70 pages in I started to notice a change in the pace. What's great about this story is I never felt like I was ahead of it. The writer never takes long to share a revelation when the reader figures it out. It's very well paced and full of twists and turns through the way.

I was heartbroken when Ven died. He was definitely my favorite character besides Rokan. I had to out down the book for a second to try to cope with the sheer disappointment. I even wished I could kill Clarisse when she revealed that she killed him. How DARE she! (Though she was a fun character throughout the book)

Another thing I liked was how I started to question Rokan along with Isabel. Even though he was a favorite of mine, I thought the politics of the story made him and the story more unique and therefore made me curious if he really wasn't that good.

For that I commend the writer, because I really felt like Isabel. And again it created for a little uniqueness to the story. It made me stop and think who really deserved the crown.

Anyway, I won't share any more spoilers because they're too good to just be shared here. The bottom line is it's a surprisingly great book. Definitely recommended for the fantasy fans out there.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistwood.

09/10/2011 page 62
20.0% "I wasn't crazy about it at first but now it's starting to get interesting. I think I might really like this one!"
09/20/2011 page 135
44.0% "This is really surprising how fast paced and good this is getting. I'm impressed! Now excuse me while I continue to read. :)"