Taryn's Reviews > Children of God

Children of God by Mary Doria Russell

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: potential-future, would-read-again
Read in January, 2009

This book is a sequel (and continuation of the narrative) of The Sparrow. I own The Sparrow and it’s a difficult book to read. Really difficult, awful things happen to the people of that book, and it’s hard to finish. I told a friend about it recently and she liked it (tho she agreed with its difficulty) and then went on to read Children of God. I hadn’t considered moving on to the second book, but boy am I glad I did! Such interesting things to say about God and His hand in this world. Questions of suffering, of learning, of vocation, of purpose, of freedom, of equality, of love, of family, of humanity, of what it means to be a child of God. The story of Jesuit priests who travel to another planet where intelligent life has been discovered and how they deal with what happens there. Children of God is MUCH more readable than The Sparrow.

This quote is sticking with me:

They were quiet for a time, alone with their thoughts, but then John sat up straight, struck by a thought. “There’s a passage in Exodus–God tells Moses, ‘No one can see My face, but I will protect you with My hand until I have passed by you, and then I will remove My hand and you will see My back.’ Remember that?”

Emilio nodded, listening.

“Well, I always thought that was a physical metaphor,” John said, “but, you know–I wonder now if it isn’t really about time? Maybe that was God’s way of telling us that we can never know His intentions, but as time goes on… we’ll understand. We’ll see where He was: we’ll see His back.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of God.