Michael Clifton's Reviews > The Notebook

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

Aug 31, 11

First of all, let me say I have never been a reader or great fan of "love" stories or "romance". I picked up "The Notebook" to read because a student at the school I was the assistant principal at, raved at how great it was. Curiosity caused me to pick up a copy, and "walla", I was hooked almost from the first page. Sparks, at least to me, has a way of telling a story that is engaging and believable. However, his characters are what I think really brings his novels to life. If you saw the movie The Notebook, there was a commentary by Sparks in which he relates that the two main characters in "Notebook" were based on his wife's grandparents. Real people, in real life, who were in real love with one another. In addition, The Notebook presents relationships and falling in love in a more traditional sense, and as a process in which two people actually get to know one another...rather than falling in bed almost immediately and in which physical attraction trumps all else. This may make "Notebook" too syrupy for some, but that was actually what I enjoyed the most. I've read every single book by Nicholas Sparks since (with "A Walk to Remember" my second favorite book!), and if I have a fault with Sparks, it is with his persistence in making sure at least one main character has a tragic ending. Sometimes there ARE happy endings!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Notebook.