Nancy's Reviews > The Unwanteds

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

Aug 28, 11

Read in August, 2011

This is a little bit of Hunger Games and a little bit of Harry Potter, both series I liked more than just a little bit. I thought the warfare was creative and appropriate for the target audience and particularly enjoyed the pitting of twins against each other.

Good vs. Evil, Justine is the high priestess who gets to decide who will be a good little soldier and who will at least follow the rules and not cause problems. Those who might be too free thinking, however, are the ones that are sent to their deaths at the Death Farm. Don't cry about it. Don't talk about it. They're gone. Sent to the Death Farmer, Marcus Today.

Marcus Today is not what he seems, however. Eventually, the history of Quill is told to Alex, the Unwanted twin. Marcus has been hiding the fact that he hasn't been eliminating the Unwanteds for thirty years. He's been training them in their arts and developing lethal arts as well. Marcus knows that eventually Quill will find out about the Unwanteds. I don't think it will come as a big surprise that the first battle will be fought in this book.

This is the first book in a trilogy. As with many trilogies, settings are developed and characters are introduced. Some character development is provided but more will be given in the following books. I'm looking forward with anticipation for the next books.

Very well written. Fun to read. Excellent conflict.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unwanteds.