Riv's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: realistic, 2nd-of-series, everyone-else-loved
Recommended to Riv by: Megan Hoover
Read from January 28 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I'm so disappointed. I HATE Cricket. Lola was so annoying. The writing was kind of unprofessional. (You do NOT put sentences with all-caps in a book.) Max was the only good character, and Stephanie Perkins totally messed with him. He started off sweet and nice, and went through a complete personality flip.
Als, what really annoys me: The gay dads thing. It's fine to give your MC two dads; it's pretty cool. BUT, as much as Stephanie Perkins claimed (as Lola) that there was no "woman" in the relationship, and neither was more girly, she did it anyway. Andy bakes, is sensitive and caring, calls Nathan (his SO) "honey" and likes figure skating. Nathan is the tough-daddy lawyer.

Also, other good part: Anna and Etienne! 'Nuff said. (Cricket and Lola had ZERO chemistry.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

01/28/2012 page 75
22.0% "Not really enjoying it as much as Anna atFK. Cricket bothers me, Max is awesome, and Lola's dads are complete stereotypes, as much as Stephanie Perkins claims the opposite."
01/29/2012 page 145
43.0% "I was about to write a status update about how much I hate Cricket, and how much Lola is annoying me, and I how much I'm rooting for Max. And then Nola FINALLY does something interesting. And I'm rooting for her...and Max."