Jean's Reviews > The Loud Silence of Francine Green

The Loud Silence of Francine Green by Karen Cushman

Apr 22, 08

Read in April, 2008

I am always uncertain on how to rate a book. I liked this book very much, but I'm not sure how Junior High students will like it. I identified with the quiet girl who tried to fly under the radar and never get into trouble (and the conflict this caused in standing up with courage for things she belived to be right). The setting is the late 1940's and early 1950's during the Cold War and was a little before my time. Still I remember the duck and cover drills we had at school in case we were attacked by a nuclear bomb. (I am so old that my early memories are regarded as hisorical fiction!) The depiction of Catholic education during that time also rings true as attested to by my friend, Gladys, and my husband who both attended Catholic school in the early 60's. At any rate, I think that Junior High students will be able to relate to the misgivings, conflicts, and courage involved in standing up for individual rights and freedoms in a fearful and suspicious world environment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Loud Silence of Francine Green.