Quinn's Reviews > The Center of Everything

The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: 2011-booklist, favorites
Read from August 28 to September 06, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** While I loved everything about it, to the parts that made me laugh and want to cry, to the parts that had me fuming, the only negative thing I have to say about this wonderful book is that 1: It had a rather slow start - which I guess should be considered necessary since it’s the “beginning” of the main characters growth as a person, but, still. And 2: The ending. It’s always the ending that taints my good feelings about a book. Even in my absolute favorite book Ella Enchanted the only problem I had was the ending, because it was too rushed and seemed false and standing out as such from the rest of the story. While “The Center of Everything” was in no way rushed - except to show the passing of years, but really, that was a favor - and it had the general accepting and hopeful vibe that most all coming-of-age novels have, the moment before the ending between Evalyn Bucknow and her childhood crush Travis Rowley was the bad taint that left a bitterness in my heart. I wanted Evalyn to be strong at that moment and tell Travis everything that was on her heart that had been making her sick for years, but instead of that moment of relenting where she triumphs over that, she does the exact opposite and leaves without telling him anything. I just, I really wanted for things to become placed together for her; I wanted for her to have her own slice of self-happiness at how well she’s done in her life, despite everything bad that had happened. But instead, the only reason she’s feeling happy at all is because she’s getting away from her hometown - the professed center of everything, the center of her world. I just didn’t favor that. Because of everything she’d been through, I wanted her to realize that getting away from a place because of the things around you is never going to make them go away, they’re always going to be with you, no matter where you go.

Regardless, this book will always be one of the best because it made me realize that, no matter where I go, it doesn’t change the fact that wherever I am, is the center of everything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Center of Everything.