Jennifer Jowsey's Reviews > The 13th Hour

The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch

Sep 09, 11

Read from August 28 to September 07, 2011 — I own a copy

it started off slow, but as it progressed and Nick started to understand how it worked and i started to understand how it worked, it got much better. it's a little confusing, but what i really liked about it is that it made me think. both in trying to keep straight what really happened (what happened already, 'in the future,' plus what would now happen based on his changed actions of the past), and in a philosophical way (why are we so busy planning for tomorrow when tomorrow is no guarantee?). it messed with my head, where i would find myself thinking - in my own real life - 'did this already happen?' or 'this seems familiar, did i already live it and [this] is about to happen?' - it was weird. it seems like it's going to be pretty straightforward and predictable, but it's not, so i liked that too. Julia is a little baby-obsessed, and the constant 'theirs is the greatest, most perfect love ever' notes were a little annoying, but overall, 4.5 stars (i'll round to 5).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Hour.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Richard Doetsch
“How many people live in the moment? A few? How many people live for tomorrow at the sacrifice of today?" Dreyfus opened his fist to reveal it to be empty. "...When tomorrow is never a guarantee.”
Richard Doetsch, The 13th Hour

Richard Doetsch
“We cling to our hearts, to what warms them, to what gives us hope, to things we can look upon and know the world will someday be okay again.”
Richard Doetsch, The 13th Hour