u1124876 UEL's Reviews > Window

Window by Jeannie Baker

Aug 28, 2011

Read in September, 2011

This wonderfully silent book is made up of photographs of Jeannie Baker's collages and no words. An Australian friend of mine actually recommended it and I am very pleased he did.

It takes us through a lifetime of a baby boy and how the view out of his window changes. Almost inevitably logging takes a dramatic toll on the scenery, more people move in to the area and eventually a McDonald's sign appears and the whole scenario is overwhelmed and ruined essentially. The way this book flows is wonderful and the author has put a lot of effort in to every detail. Inside the window frame we see signs that the boy is slowly becoming a man. This is a book for children of all ages and adults too! I really like the simplicity of it and it could certainly open up some very interesting conversations with the children regarding change and the environment. I think this book manages to speak volumes without uttering a single word.

In the author's note at the back of the book Jeannie Baker writes: '... by opening a window in our minds, by understanding how change takes place and by changing the way we personally affect the environment, we can make a difference.' This book reminds me of that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Window.