Bobbi's Reviews > Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! by Fannie Flagg

Aug 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction

I read this for a book club, and to tell the truth, I was not looking forward to it. Although I liked Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes, this one started out very poorly. The going was slow and I think a lot of the first part of the novel could have been eliminated. I kept thinking about how predictable it was; ambitions, beautiful girl becomes a high power TV personality, finds out that fame is not worth the price, ends up in small town American married to a nice man.

But read on, folks. There is a lot of substance in the last third of the book that makes getting through the beginning worthwhile. I wish Flagg would have spent more time on that part than the beginning which tended to be trivial in hindsight.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (last edited Sep 04, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria I love this review; it says exactly what I thought. The last third mattered, and I remember looking up and saying to myself, "Good for you, Fannie." Maybe out loud. I'd have rated it the same too, or a 3 1/2 if that were possible.

Bobbi Sometimes we really need to get out of our reading comfort zone and that's why books clubs are great. We'd been through a couple of very heavy books and this one really lightened things up a bit. Oddly, I came across the movie, Fried Green Tomatoes, on TV the other night, thought I had watched it but I hadn't. It's been a long time since I'd read the book, so it was fun.

message 3: by Maria (last edited Sep 05, 2011 09:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maria I loved the movie Fried GT for what it was. FF may not be too great a writer but she had something impt to say and I found the book compelling enough to read to the end, getting questions answered along the way. I liked it, and liked "Baby Girl." Lovely surprise.