Bee's Reviews > The Angel of 13th Street

The Angel of 13th Street by Eden Winters

I’m not really sure what I think about this story. It’s good…but a few small changes could have made it even better.

Noah is a 30-year-old ex-hustler who now owns a bar and works for an organization called A New Life, striving to give young sex workers a chance to leave the life behind them and get a new chance, something he was given all those years ago. Jeremy is an 18-year-old who has been dropped from the foster-care system before he could graduate high school. Now he lives in a cold dreary basement and fights to stay on top of his schoolwork as well as staying alive. Lately it has been even more of a struggle since a gang of young hustlers have set their sights on recruiting him for their pimp. One night after spraining his ankle while running from them, he goes to do some laundry on Thirteenth Street, the cheapest place in the area. The place, called A Tub of Suds, is right next door to the bar and also owned by Noah and as Noah sees Jeremy arrive he makes a decision to befriend him. Noah quickly grows fond of Jeremy and soon he realizes he will do anything to keep him safe, even if it takes visiting his old life and making a deal with the devil…

This story has many good things about it, and a few things that I wished were different. The characters of Jeremy and Noah are great, but I miss a little more interaction between them. They are both instantly attracted to each other, but since they spend so little time together I have a hard time believing their emotional connection. The drama is also really good, there is a lot of tension and I was writhing, jumping, and cussing as I read it. I do wish, however, that there had been just a little moment of real happiness without the underlying tension. There wasn’t a single moment of just pure joy and love between them, and I thought the story really needed that.

I also wish that the author had been more consistent with the POVs. In the beginning it’s mostly Jeremy’s, but after he meets Noah we hardly get to see his thoughts at all, I kind of missed that too. Then there’s that little side trip into one other character’s mind, which is more confusing than anything else.

I also felt that a little more closure could have been a good thing. Right now it kind of ends just as soon as the drama is solved…and the characters are left hanging a bit. I wanted to see a little bit of the aftermath and the future, this is an instance where a more thorough epilogue could have been a good idea…there is one, but it’s pretty short and doesn’t give that much.

Just some food for thoughts. It was an interesting read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel of 13th Street.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eden (new) - added it

Eden Winters Bee, I'm so very glad you enjoyed the story. I guess it will come as no surprise that there is a sequel in the works, that covers the issues you mentioned.I hadn't intended to leave things hanging, and at the time I wrote Angel I hadn't planned a second story, but ideas kept coming that wouldn't be denied. I'm hoping part two published late this year. Very thoughtful review, and priceless feedback!

message 2: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee Eden wrote: "Bee, I'm so very glad you enjoyed the story. I guess it will come as no surprise that there is a sequel in the works, that covers the issues you mentioned.I hadn't intended to leave things hanging,..."

Looking forward to the sequel! :)