Cole's Reviews > The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You

The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You by S. Bear Bergman

Aug 05, 2016

bookshelves: nonfiction, anthology-and-short-story-and-essay, from-my-bookshelf, lgbtq
Read from August 28 to September 17, 2011 — I own a copy

QUICK POINT: I find it a bit surprising how many reviews use the wrong pronouns. In the book Bear is pretty clear on it and one would hope folks reading it would understand.

Thanks, but I just had to make that point.

Last December I had a chance to see Bear when Ze was doing a tour with Ivan Coyote. Previous to the event I was unfamiliar with Bear's work, but found Ze's personality and style very appealing and so left the event with a copy of this book. It has taken me awhile to get around to reading it, but I'm very pleased with the purchase. My favorite essays were probably "Getting Myself Home" and "Live Love" and "Seahorse Papa".

This book is going on the mental shelf of mine for books that are pure queer comfort. There's some theoretical stuff, sure, but mostly these essays just make me feel good in some deep queer part of myself.

I recommend the book and I recommend seeing Bear perform if you ever have the chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You.

08/28/2011 page 50