Andrew's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince

Fables, Vol. 10 by Bill Willingham

Jun 07, 08

bookshelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
Read in June, 2008

I will admit this story could have used some refining. There are portions where Willingham feels like he wants to get from point A to B so strongly he forgets to make the journey. And the Fabletown activities are just prep work.

But still, the story gives Ambrose his due. Do I wish it was better crafted? Yes. Do I feel that some necessary growth steps got entirely bypassed? Well, yes. Do I feel some of the movers were a little too inaccessible? Aye. But still, it's Ambrose.

As for the art, I think this is some of Buckingham's weaker work. Which is unfortunate because I normally so enjoy Buckingham's art. But there were some drawings, of Beast especially where it looked like Buckingham was just burned out.

The give-the-man-a-break issue was more enjoyable than usual. But it revolved around the cubs, so I shouldn't be surprised. But the art was also better (or at least something I enjoyed more) than a lot of the regular stand-ins.

I think Fables got bigger than Willingham and its best days may be behind it. But it is still more fun than a lot of the things out there. It will be interesting to see how the war goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 10.