Steve Mcgrath's Reviews > Clapton

M 50x66
Aug 28, 11

Read in August, 2011

Ok,

I took into this book because I dont know much about Clapton. I read Hammer of the Gods and some other music book recently and Clapton kept popping in. So I thought to myself, "Why not learn more about him." I have always categorized Clapton as a little bit boring. I think his music has no dynamic and is rather boring. But to be fair, my first exposure to really who Clapton was was during the MTV Unplugged years.

With the exception of everyone in Van Halen, everyone in Stone Temple Pilots, and everyone in the Killers and Celine Dion, I will have to say that Clapton is the biggest asshole in music. He broke up every band he was in whether it was the Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, Blind Faith. He basically gets bored and quits.

He also spent years chasing George Harrison's wife. He gets her, and then they divorce. He covers his alcoholism and coke use pretty intensely. I never knew what a mess this guy was. To be fair, he cleans up in the early 90s and has been clean since. He does a lot for other addicts as well which is admirable. But all of that doesnt change a few things...

This man's ego is a mile wide. I still find his music to be a bit boring even with the insight on him I now have. Just look at the cover of the book..it says it all. "I will make the cover my awesome signature with just 2 colors" zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzz.....NEXT. There is just nothing about his music that pops for me. But if you like stories of rock band debauchery, which I love, then this is for you. But i'm telling you, this guy was an asshole to anyone who crossed his path. That part was fun to read. I'm shocked more people didn't knock him out.

The part I found stunning was that George Harrison was friendly with Clapton even after Clapton stole his wife. If I were Harrison I would have taken one of my Rickenbackers, filled it with bees and rocks and hit Clapton off the squash with it.

Also you hear from time to time that Clapton is a racist. I couldn't find that to be more untrue. He spends half the book gushing over black blues guitarists. Also most of his current touring band is black guys, so there really is no evidence of that(at least from the book). Asshole-Yes. Racist-No.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clapton.

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Interesting. I read the book from the wife he stole from Harrison (Patti Boyd. It's called Wonderful Tonight and she alleges she inspired "Something" "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight". Hmmm...) From her perspective Harrison started ignoring her and Clapton was relentless. I think, though...Clapton broke up with her (and cheated on her, had a baby with another baby mama...but that baby found a window and died, inspiring "Tears in Heaven". DUDE. While he was still married to Boyd! But I think Clapton and Harrison became friends again and Patti was all by her lonesome. But everyone is good now or something and she does artsy things in San Diego. Now if only Harrison was still alive to write HIS perspective on things, then we would have a hat trick. or trifecta or something.