Luke Baldock's Reviews > Green Lantern: Rebirth

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns

Aug 28, 11

Read in January, 2010

Green Lantern: Rebirth was my first real detailed introduction into a character that I had long been interested in. I was aware of the basics, and finally decided to take the plunge. I had avoided it before as I generally stuck to graphic novel one-shots or self-contained stories such as The Killing Joke, Watchmen, and Filth. I was just a bit worried about the expense and dedication needed to follow a continuous saga. After buying and reading Green Lantern: Rebirth, I had nothing to worry about. It was a fantastic science fiction superhero fantasy. I first appreciated it, as it worked as an introduction to a very vast world, without seeming like a total reboot. Geoff Johns used a number of tactics to bring a character back from the dead, whilst interlacing it with the mythology of the universe. A lot of it is rather complex, but I was glad it didn't talk down to me. Unlike the recent movie which gave a very hammy quick recap of the Green Lanterns, rather than exploring it over time. Rebirth sees Kyle Raynor returning from space with the body of Hal Jordan. Hal Jordan had gone insane because of Parallax, and destroyed an entire city. Eventually he through himself into the sun. This book is mostly about retribution, and forgiveness, of oneself and of others. There is great chemistry between Batman and Jordan, as Batman has some serious trust issues with Jordan. On the other hand, we have Green Arrow looking out for his old friend. This book has everything you could possibly imagine. Wonderful characters, great artwork, and a story that revisits events from the past and shines new light on them, while continuously advancing the story. Epic space battles, smaller conflicts, it's all present and correct. This really ignited my love of Green Lantern and I have kept up to date on the trade paper backs ever since.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Green Lantern.