Lisa Jo's Reviews > Tender Is the Storm

Tender Is the Storm by Johanna Lindsey

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: historical, physical-collection
Read in June, 2010

Sharisee Hammond had resigned herself to marry Joel Parrington, the man her father had arranged for her. Though she did not love the man, she would never complain and always do what her father expected of her. That was until her younger sister Stephanie told her of her undying love for Joel and how miserable she would be is Sharisee married him. When their father refused to switch which daughter would marry, Stephanie took drastic measures. She set up her own engagement to a rancher in Newcomb, Arizona. Sharisee decides that until their father sees the way of reason, she will take Stephanie’s place as the rancher’s betrothed.

Lucas Holt needs a wife. Or at least a pretend fiancé for a moment. So he’s arranged for a mail order bride from New York. When Sharisee finally arrives, he is pleasantly surprised and realizes she is nothing like he expected. The attraction he feels towards her is unsettling but he knows she feels the same. Despite his feelings for Sharisee, Lucas is set on getting his revenge for the man responsible for his father’s death. Sharisee is unknowingly playing her part of the plan, the only potential problem is his identical twin Slade. With two brothers so set revenge, only time will tell is Lucas can open his cold heart to love.

This book was difficult to put down. Both of the characters were so different, it was enjoyable to read. Sharisee was such an interesting character because she came from a wealthy upbringing, only to sacrifice herself to a life on the Arizona ranch and give her sister a chance at true love. And Lucas showed her no mercy. After all, his goal was just to keep her for a little while and then scare her off. Little did he know what a difficult job that would be.

“Didn’t your husband ever explain to you that sometimes a man has no control over his body? He can become inflamed by the sight of a beautiful woman, and there isn’t a dam thing he can do to stop his body from reacting?”

“No, I didn’t know that,” she confessed. “That’s what happened last night?”

“I’m afraid so...I wouldn’t force you, Sharisse. You do believe me, don’t you?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted frankly.

“Well, come here then and I’ll prove it to you,” he said.

When she reached the table, he stood up and gathered her in his arms, ignoring her startled protests. He kissed her long and hard and didn’t stop until he felt her resistance ebbing. Then he let her go.

“There you see?” Lucas said. “It’s not easy to walk away from you, but I’m going to do it.”

And he walked away. Sharisse wanted to stamp her foot, watching him go, for he had flamed those feelings in her again and she hasn’t wanted it to end.

Lindsey writes characters that you can connect with. They are very down-to-earth and amusing. In Tender Is the Storm these characters have an edge of mystery to them, yet at the same time, Lindsey reveals their insecurities and weaknesses that make them all the more alluring. They are never boring and always entertaining. You can easily get wrapped up in this story and the characters.

My only complaint was the ending. I have to say it was very disappointing! The heroine was so intelligent, spunky and delightful only to have her become so dense at the end. There was also a huge reveal on the very last page that didn’t sit well with me either. It did take some of the magic away from the story as a whole. But still, the story was an enjoyable read. It was a novel about two people with hidden agendas trying to make sense of their unwanted and unexpected attraction to each other. All the while discovering that this other person was changing them for the better. The dialogue was witty and clever with a few surprises thrown in. It was a very charming and sweet western romance.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Heat Level: 4/5

Lisa @ Once Upon A Chapter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender Is the Storm.