Choco's Reviews > Good Oil

Good Oil by Laura Buzo

Aug 29, 11

bookshelves: 0-loved
Read from August 27 to 29, 2011

When I was 15 or 16 (about the same age as Amelia), I have asked my friend who was around 20 or 21 back then (around the same age as Chris), if things will get easier in life as you get older. I explained my moods changed quickly and a lot of things annoyed me. He listened carefully and said, "Yes, they will." I really appreciated the answer. Thinking back, I appreciate the fact that he was young enough to remember all the anguist we tend to suffer from as teenagers and that he was honest and sympathetic toward a kid like me. There are many things that are obviously different between Amelia and Chris's relationship and mine with my friend (like my friend was a lot more mature or I didn't have special feelings toward my friend etc), but this anecdote represents the essense that I LOVED about this book. When we are younger, everything is a big deal. Why wouldn't it? The world is still full of new stuff, and the reactions toward it like lust and love are also new to them. With hormones running wild in their system, of course, everything is a big deal. And they suffer from extreme emotions which result from taking everything so seriously. I really do not want to go back to my teenage years.
In addition, youngsters judge everything so harshly with so much conviction and confidence in their opinions. It can be annoying, but like Chris, adults can sometimes learn from them because they might voice opinions toward stuff we don't question or take for granted (in the book it was about issues related to feminism). I LOVED how that aspect of youngsters and adults was dealt with in this book.
Another thing I loved about this book is Aussieness. I live 10 mintutes away from Woolies. I know how employees dress there and what fruits and vegetables they sell. There was no word I didn't understand, and images came to my mind very easily. I probably enjoyed reading Amelia and Chris's lives more partly because I didn't grow up in Australia. I didn't spend my teenage years here, so reading about a teenage life here in Aus was entertaining as well as enlightening.

Judging from the rating, this book isn't for everyone although I don't understand why not. I enjoyed this book throughly, and now it sits on my bookshelf and will stay there for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Oil.

08/27/2011 page 17
6.0% "Yes I know I've just started it (epub ver. thruogh the library), but I think I'm off to buy my own copy particularly because I saw it half price at the bookshop. I'm loving it."
08/28/2011 page 168
59.0% "It started out really good, but now I can't get over how chatty Chris is! It's still good though."
08/29/2011 page 231
82.0% "ohhh it's clever! Now I understand the necessity of the bits I wasn't crazy about.."