Richard Guion's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan

Aug 27, 2011

Read from August 28 to September 01, 2011

I love all the classic monsters, but I always felt like the vampire mythos got way more attention and the poor werewolf archetypes was under served. Always hoping to read a werewolf novel that could rival something like The Vampire Lestat, and now it is here! The Last Werewolf is a thrilling modern take on Werewolves. Jake Marlowe has been one for the past 200 years, and he discovers on page one that he is the last of his kind. The werewolves have been hunted down and killed by WOCOP (World Organisation for the Control of Occult Phenomena). WOCOP has a special fondness for Jake, leaving him to be hunted down personally by Grenier, their leader. Jake is a bit ambivalent about staying alive. After 200 years, he doesn't see anything reason to keep on going--his life is empty except for the full moon. Of course, that changes as the novel goes on, but in the meantime there are some lovely bits of Jake's origin. There are also vampires in this book, a slightly different take on them as well. I loved the language and the first person narration. The prose is literate, witty, and I have to confess--there were a number of words I had to look up on my e-reader. A few spoilers: (view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

03/06 marked as: read