Jade Eby's Reviews > The Twilight of Lake Woebegotten

The Twilight of Lake Woebegotten by Harrison Geillor

Aug 28, 11

Read on August 27, 2011

Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

The Good: This book had me rolling on the floor laughing. Seriously. Fans or haters of Twilight will enjoy this book, readers who like creative parodies or spoofs will enjoy this book and readers who like humorous, dark and strange stories will enjoy this book. In fact, even the people who've never read or heard of Twilight would enjoy this book because it's great as a stand alone book. Harrison Geillor takes our main characters from Twilight and while subtly keeping their characteristics they are famous for, adds a twist to each of them. Bella is Bonnie, Edward is Edwin, Jacob is Jaoquin and so on and so forth. Geillor creatively navigates through ALL of Meyer's Twilight series and mocks the entire thing. But he's not mocking it in a crude or mean way, he's taking the characters and showing readers what COULD have been the story. For example, in Twilight, Bella is a bit shy, clumsy and the "plain" girl. She wants to fit in, doesn't have much confidence and goes to live with her dad because she wants her mom to be happy. Geillor chooses to swap these characteristic and instead say that Bonnie is shy, clumsy and "plain" because she CHOOSES to be. It's all part of a plan. She is not the innocent, naive girl that Meyers writers her as but rather a more confident, manipulative and crazy teenager. Plainly put she is a sociopath. I LOVED IT! Everything about this book made me laugh because (and this is just MY opinion) but I am not a huge fan of Twilight and I loved seeing someone rework the novel into something that is ten times better than the original book. It was well written, funny, unique and honestly a great story whether or not someone knew it was written about Twilight. I also loved some of the new minor characters that Geillor added in like the "Narrator" and the "Liaison" between the Vamps and the Wolves.

The Bad: Not too much bad to say about this book. I did think the creepiness and darkness of Bonnie's character got a wee bit out of control. I totally understand what Geillor was doing when he started going in that direction and I enjoyed her throughout, but I think her "evil" could have been toned down just a bit. I also thought it was a little longer than it should have been. Could have been cut down just a little.

Overall, I really really enjoyed this book! I would give it a A- Like I said earlier, many different kinds of readers will enjoy this book however, I will say this: If you are a die hard Twilight fan and get upset when people make fun of the books, characters etc and you don't EVER want to see a different version other than the one Stephenie Meyers wrote, then this book is NOT for you. Just a warning!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight of Lake Woebegotten.