Rusty's Reviews > Heaven's Shadow

Jan 30, 15

liked it
bookshelves: prose, science-fiction
Read from August 27 to September 04, 2011

Heaven's Shadow was an interesting read, and I have mixed feelings about it. To keep it short, it was a throwback to those BDO books that, for me anyway, are the cornerstone of sci fi.

I couldn't decide on whether or not to give this book 3 stars or 4. I'm still not sure, I may feel differently a few weeks from now, but as of this writing I decided it gets 3, mostly because while I liked it, I'm not sure it impacted me emotionally the way I'd hoped it would.

I probably judge these type stories more harshly than others, this is where that sense of wonder, that awe at the universe, comes into play. Perhaps because I have read so many books like this that I'm trying to think of what it adds to all the others that are in the Rendezvous with Rama vein of sci fi stories. I can't really think of what that is.

A near future mission to a NEO by competing agencies, NASA and the Russian/Brazilian/Indian alliance means that two groups of astronauts arrive to explore within a day of one another. Mistrust with one another and the discovery that the asteroid is really an Alien starship means that both crews are forced to work together if either of them hopes to survive.

For me, these type tales are like Star Trek episodes, even if I feel like the same story is getting told over and over, I will read them as long as they keep getting published. I miss these type of novels, and hope that with the release of Leviathan Wakes earlier this year, as well as this one, that we are going to be seeing a resurgence of this type of story in the near future.

And I can't say for sure what it is that kept me from liking it more. It could have been written in the 60's or 70's, and it has that nostalgic feel for the future that I increasingly doubt we'll ever have where humans go out to explore the solar system. It also feels authentic, from the way that NASA handles adversity on a mission to the way the bureaucracy within the organization works. I like so much of this, it just missed the mark. Just barely, it could have been a classic, instead it was only a fun read.

It does give me high hopes for the next book in this trilogy, and I'm thinking the events that unfolded in this novel have lain the groundwork for some mind-bending sci fi awesomness in the next one.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven's Shadow.

08/27/2011 page 8
2.0% "I didn't mean to start another book so quick. But I was too tired to write and didn't want to watch TV."
08/30/2011 page 103
25.0% "It's like Rendezvous with Rama... written in 2011. Awesome."