Julianna Helms's Reviews > Reached

Reached by Ally Condie
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
5835325
's review
Aug 27, 2011

it was amazing
bookshelves: best-boys, recent-favorites, re-read-status, starred-reviews

It's over.
It's... over.

I don't know what to say, or what to feel.

I'll keep y'all posted for when I can get this feeling that's struggling to shatter my chest labeled and cemented.
136 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reached.
Sign In »

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Aly (Fantasy4eva) I KNOW. It's so damn annoying. What is wrong with these people. Smh 0_0


♥ Marlene♥ It is also crazy that so many people are giving it 5 stars having not read 1 page of it. There are more 5 stars reviews than 1. 56 % of idiots gave it 5 stars and 9 % of idiots gave it 1. And I did not count the other idiots. Thanks to them you cannot buy a book anymore based on reviews.


message 3: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Would you say that they are judging a book by it's cover?


Julianna Helms Bryan wrote: "Would you say that they are judging a book by it's cover?"

Hmm, well, I think some definitely are, though I obviously can't speak for everyone. :]


♥ Marlene♥ Most are so in love with the first 2 books they cannot think clearly any more and think that if the first 2 books are great the third must be a 5 star book without having read one word.


Taylor ummmm,,,,,,,,,,,wow chill it's not a big deal. i didn't rate it low but ur freaking out over nothing. sensitive much?


♥ Marlene♥ Taylor wrote: "ummmm,,,,,,,,,,,wow chill it's not a big deal. i didn't rate it low but ur freaking out over nothing. sensitive much?"

You should not rate it in the first place. low or high. I use reviews to decide if I should buy a book or not so yes people that review books they did not even read are annoying to say the least. Fan girls, fan boys. And yes I did enjoy the first 2 books too.


Aly (Fantasy4eva) she's completely right. rating a book when you have not even read it is just plain stupid

and what's your problem anyway.

sensitive much?


Taylor Maybe so, but yelling to everyone about the littlest things?
Nice move. It may be stupid, but the fact that you guys are getting worked up over nothing is annoying and rude.


message 10: by Julianna (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julianna Helms Oh, Taylor, please do tell me your definition of "nothing." I hate to argue with you, but I'd like to point out something that I certainly hope you haven't forgotten: the economy. What you may consider as "annoying and rude" is in fact a warning to all other reviewers that, yes, your job is to review books honestly and, yes, people do make monetary decisions based on your opinion. Kind of a powerful portrayal, no? I think I get where you're coming from, that I shouldn't tell others how to act. Hey, if you want to rate books and affect others' decisions in this wreck of an economy without having read the book first, go ahead, I'm not in any position to stop you. In fact, I'm not the one affected by this because I don't buy books based off of reviews, but I know there are many that do. Transitively, I'm not being sensitive, but how would you feel if, say, you recorded an album, and a bunch of people rated it one-star even though they never listened to it, which also made others decide to neglect your hard work? That's quite unfair, if I may say so myself, and I believe that another aspect of being a reviewer is to promote equality and honesty. Judging a book without having read it is, in my opinion, doing the exact opposite. But it's just my opinion, and I'm not forcing you to agree with me.

Is being unfairly judgmental and affecting others in this austerity not annoying and rude? Is it really, in fact, "nothing?" I'm curious to what you think, and I do mean that in the best possible way.


Aly (Fantasy4eva) preach it! :D


message 12: by Experiment BL626 (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Experiment BL626 Hello! =) I wanted to let you know that some readers use the rating system as a hype meter, as in how excited or unexcited they are about the book. Yes, this is completely acceptable by Goodreads rule, whether you agree or disagree. There was a whole debate over it in the Goodreads Feedback group a year or two ago; the rule still stand.

I don't think you need to worry about the book getting a bad unfair rap since there are only 15 people low-rating it and 71 people five-starring it if you assume the 3-stars people are neutral-raters.

ETA: That debate I mentioned is here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...


Julianna Helms Experiment wrote: "Just wanted to let you know that some readers use the rating system as a hype meter, as in how excited or unexcited they are about the book. Yes, this is completely acceptable by Goodreads rule, wh..."

Thanks for the stats, Exp. My opinion still stands though, for both the negative and positive ratings, though, like I have said, I am not adamant nor in any process to hinder others' decisions on this. I appreciate your input, and I understand and accept that there are differing opinions than mine, as there should be. My sole intent was to reach out beyond simply this book but to others as well about what I personally believe is not the fairest judgment in the world.


message 14: by Taylor (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Taylor May i point out that the economy shouldnt have to affect people's ratings on books. I understand your point, that people are being judgemental of books, and i shouldn't have been so strong on my opinion, but the fact that there's suddenly a whole debate about it because someone didnt like the way someone rated their book is a little dramatic.. Really? Our goal is to share books in a peaceful manner, not making a big deal on the littlest things. Someone rated their book before it came out. :0 shocking. Let's all protest it even when its none of our business. People do have their own opinions, even if it may not be a right one.


Julianna Helms Taylor wrote: "May i point out that the economy shouldnt have to affect people's ratings on books. I understand your point, that people are being judgemental of books, and i shouldn't have been so strong on my op..."

This is not a "whole debate," Taylor, because I am not trying to prove you wrong. I've already stated that I get where you're coming from. "People do have their own opinions." Exactly. I have my own opinion too, and because I respect yours, I ask you to return the same. I'm not making a big deal on this--if you count as me just sitting back here doing nothing to promote my own opinion as "making a big deal," I honestly don't know what to tell you. Again. I'm not saying that you can't rate a book before it came out--I'm just saying I myself do not appreciate it, as I know many others don't as well. As you are voicing your opinion, I am, also. If you are so adamant against my own freedom of expressions then, please, write in your own review asking everyone to rate this book before it comes out. I don't mind. Go ahead--I won't stop it, and I think it's much more efficient and time-saving tactic than criticizing my freedom on my thread, anyway.

Thank you.


Taylor "You guys, please, I cannot stress this enough... I doubt ANY of you have read this book yet, so why are you rating it? Based on your own inferences? You can't judge a book IF IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET (ESPECIALLY when it's not yet an ARC, even!!)!!!"

....right. that's not freaking out at all. criticizing freedom? Yes, of course, because i'm the one who posted a thread telling people not to rate their books a certain way. who's criticizing freedom now?

i'm so done with this conversation. go ahead, get angry about the little things. it'll serve you well in the future.
i'm glad we could have this argument. it's healthy to do once in a while, after all. good day.


message 17: by Julianna (last edited Feb 17, 2012 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julianna Helms Taylor wrote: ""You guys, please, I cannot stress this enough... I doubt ANY of you have read this book yet, so why are you rating it? Based on your own inferences? You can't judge a book IF IT'S NOT EVEN OUT YET..."

Oh, did I not mention? I typed that in the heat of aggravation because it was after I bought a book based on reviews rated before the reviewer read the book (back when I used to). It's best that you're leaving this thread now--let's just agree to disagree.


message 18: by Cherie (new)

Cherie I agree with you completely. I understand that some people use the star rating as a "hype meter" as someone else pointed out, but if that's the case, maybe there should really be 2 ratings. Or, maybe the ratings should be reset once the book is actually published. Just my 2 cents.


♥ Marlene♥ But if you like to write about a book you can. I just read a book and it was so interesting that I posted a little bit of what I thought while reading. Only when I was done with the book did I rate it. Maybe people do not know that. You can write a "review" and just not give it any stars just yet until you've finished. :)


message 20: by Aly (new) - rated it 2 stars

Aly I think people are just commenting their thoughts on the book. There is a simple solution to this: don't read the reviews if it bothers you....


Katie Valentine I can't believe it already has 308 ratings. Unless 308 people are in some special secret group that gets to read books before they are even ARCs, they just shouldn't be rating it. I honestly think that Goodreads should only enable the rating once the book is out or at least only allow ARC readers to rate it until the day it comes out. To me, liking the cover or the first two books isn't good enough reason to rate a book that you haven't read and you can't read because it isn't out yet.
And if they use it as a hype meter, goodreads should either make one of those or show how many have added it to their "to-read" list. Because it goes against all common sense to rate a book you've never read. That's be like a teacher giving you a F without actually reading the assignment.


Julianna Helms Katie wrote: "That's be like a teacher giving you a F without actually reading the assignment. "

^ THIS! I concur with you 100+%!


message 23: by Parvez (new)

Parvez Thanks Juliana for posting this. I'm still trying to decide if I should read the first book of this series. But frankly I see this kind of ratings with other books too here in GoodReads and sometimes I'm not even sure whether to depend on the ratings or not, because that's one of the thing I rely on...

Goodreads should put add a new feature that won't allow anyone to rate a book unless it's marked as "Read" and/or if the book's released date is in future (even if it's tomorrow).


Dallas Sullivan destroys the purpose of the rating system!


Julianna Helms Parvez wrote: "Thanks Juliana for posting this. I'm still trying to decide if I should read the first book of this series. But frankly I see this kind of ratings with other books too here in GoodReads and sometim..."

Parvez, I definitely liked MATCHED, and would suggest that you try it if you like utopia-turned-dytopia stories. Especially if you enjoy Lois Lowry's writing! :)


Julianna Helms Dallas wrote: "destroys the purpose of the rating system!"

Thanks for sharing your agreement! :)


Taschima Katie wrote: "I can't believe it already has 308 ratings. Unless 308 people are in some special secret group that gets to read books before they are even ARCs, they just shouldn't be rating it. I honestly think ..."

Exactly what she said, specially the part about the "hype meter" BS. If you guys are excited about it then write a "review" on how excited or non excited you are about it. I have done it before with various sorts of books, and have gotten quite a few likes out of it, but I never rate them. Why? Because I have not read the book so it would be unfair, to the author and to the reader, if I were to rate a book based on my "excitement" or "pissed-off-ness" (new word!) alone. Not to mention... Stupid!


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

They rate it also depending on how excited they are for it.


Julianna Helms Hana❦Joy wrote: "They rate it also depending on how excited they are for it."

That's true. Like I (and others) have said above, we do realize that the rating system is sometimes utilized as a "hype meter," but the simple reality is that how will you differentiate between an excited person and someone who has given careful thought into the review? 99.9% of people don't get to read every book on their TBR list, so sometimes we forget to change those ratings. It might not sound like a big deal, but if quite the large amount of people are unaware about the rating being due to sole excitement, then it could still alter buying decisions and ultimately affect not just the publishers and authors but most importantly, readers and bloggers, as well.

Thank you for commenting, though! I appreciate it! :)


message 30: by Annalise (new) - added it

Annalise Hunt Well there is another reason people rate it its not because of how excited they are(well its a bit to do with that) but also how good they think it will be based on the other books in this series.


Taschima Still, the rating system is there so people know how good it is after someone actually reads the book, I say don't use it at all unless you have read the actual book. But hey, that's just me.


message 32: by Annalise (new) - added it

Annalise Hunt yea true i guess people have different opinions and think a rate bar should be used for different things i usually like you rate it after i read it.


message 33: by Gogo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gogo Asher Maybe they are idiots and don't realize you can write a review AND not rate it at the same time. These are probably Darwin Award canidates.


Taschima Gogo wrote: "Maybe they are idiots and don't realize you can write a review AND not rate it at the same time. These are probably Darwin Award canidates."

I would "like" your comment if I could.


message 35: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I couldn't have read it yet, it doesn't come out till november


back to top