Laura's Reviews > Along Came a Spider

Along Came a Spider by James Patterson

Aug 27, 2011

liked it
Read in November, 2010

One thing about library borrowing is that you can check out books that you never would buy. It is actually kind of freeing. And, if there aren't any good books available as ebooks, you can use the opportunity to check out books that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Books such as as Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Now, I know that popular fiction is popular for a reason. But these authors who just pump out book after book after book, each book so similar to the last, tend to get tedious. I therefore find myself avoiding these types of books. My favourite books tend to be those that I would pick up in a English Lit class at university, not at a drugstore.

I guess I'm just a snobby elite on the outside. But the reality is... I'll devour a James Patterson book just like anyone else.

At least that is what I learned when I decided to read Along Came a Spider.

I decided to make my first James Patterson novel be one that began a series. So, I put on hold Along Came a Spider, which is the first in the Alex Cross Series, and 1st to Die, from the Women's Murder Club series. I figured that I didn't have nearly enough murder and mystery in my life, so a little bit of that in book form couldn't hurt. Along Came a Spider was the first book to become available.

This book was actually a really great read. It was suspenseful and kept me guessing until the very end. I do admit, I started to pick up on the plot twist pretty early on.

James Patterson wrote an engaging crime novel that keeps the reader questioning. After all the whodunit questions, the reader is faced with a moral question - where do our sympathies lie? Why do I, as a reader, feel differently about one villain than I do about another? Why is one morally reprehensible while the other evokes sympathy? Am I, the reader, condoning terrible behaviour? Am I complicit?

I really love it when a writer is able to do more than just write plot. James Patterson clearly demonstrates that he can write a good story, but when he is able to question the reader's complicity, then I realize that I have read a good book.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Along Came a Spider.

message 1: by Matthew (new) - added it

Matthew I am reading this book now and am really finding it easy to get into. Might I ask why you gave it 3 stars if it was such a good book in your opinion.