Andy Shuping's Reviews > Blue Pills: A Positive Love Story

Blue Pills by Frederik Peeters

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel

"Blue Pills" is not your average memoir and neither are the people that you meet in it. It's a powerful, moving, heartwarming, and heartbreaking story all at the same time. You see Frederik Peeters is dating Cati a woman with a young son...and both Cati and her son are HIV positive. The story falters in some places, only because it's been translated into English and some words/phrases don't adapt well. But it's a minor point. Frederik tells their story of life together, of falling in love, of caring for Cati's son, and the ever looming future that is so frighting. He tells the story with a gentle touch, never overwhelming the reader with fear and doubt. Instead he invites us in to their lives, to take a look around, to get to know them in these few short pages and feel like we've known them our entire lives.

The artwork is done in rough, broad ink strokes that at times look like woodcuts from days long ago. They capture Frederik, Cati, and her son and let us see their feelings at a glance. The stark black and white only emphasizes the story being told and helps us get more in tune with it. There are many scenes where there are no words, just the illustrations, and with only a glance you can tell how you're supposed to feel when viewing the image, even without looking at the preceding panels.

The story and the art speak for itself. It doesn't need me or anyone else trying to describe it in so few words. It's a powerful book that's a must read for anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Pills.