Bryce Lowry's Reviews > A History Of The English Speaking Peoples: The Birth Of Britain, Volume One

A History Of The English Speaking Peoples by Winston Churchill

Oct 24, 11

Read from August 27 to October 24, 2011

As a work of Churchill's, it is naturally a brilliant text. Not only is it a fascinating history, beginning with pre-historic Britain, but it is beautifully written.

The scope of this book is staggering; Churchill covers the important events that take place and shape Britain from the pre-Roman Celtic era to the end of the medieval ages. We get to see the vicious Celtic stands against the invading Romans, the desperate circumstances created by the fall of the Roman Empire, and the establishment of the Saxon kingdoms and the formation of England. We get to read of the heroism of King Alfred the Great, the failure of his progeny and the devastating viking conquerors do their worst to the islands. The invasion of the Normans is laid out and Churchill illustrates the impact of Norman politics on Saxon politics and how their two separate ways of governing England merge to form the beginnings of democratic ideals in the West. There is a lot more, and I can't wait to finish. I'm eating it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History Of The English Speaking Peoples.