Christopher's Reviews > Montgomery Clift: A Biography

Montgomery Clift by Patricia Bosworth

Aug 27, 11

REM put it best: Monty got a raw deal. Driven to an unrealistic perfection of existence by his mother(with whom he had a tremendous love/hate relationship) since birth, it almost reads as if he was fated to tragedy. Magnetically talent in acting and absorbed in sucking up every aspect of life he could, he crashed to ruin over Hollywood hypocrisy, torment over his bisexuality, family drama, and drug dalliance that blew into a life crutch after a car accident that left him with pain the rest of his life. Fascinating (against the back drop of his sexuality anguish and the conservative times) is the author's, and just about everyone in Clift's circle of friends, acknowledgment and absorption of Monty's physical and emotional androgyny.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Montgomery Clift.

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Baker Nice review. I don't know much about ol' Monty, but this seems interesting. Bosworth also did a bio I just finished on Diane Arbus, a talented photographer who lived and worked on the fringes of society. You might enjoy it. I also highly recommend the Howard Hughes bio by Richard Hack.

Christopher I've been wanting to read Bosworth's Arbus! Howard Hughes was the director/flyer who went reclusive right?

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne Baker Yes! He went pretty off his rocker, but seemed a bit odd early on in life and during his adulthood. Despite having married several times to buxom young movie actresses, he had a hard time with his sexuality (the impression I got was that he was almost asexual, or hetero but could not quite ever pull the trigger due to his ego/fears/oddness). He had a happy and close relationship with Katherine Hepburn, but again, no trigger. Anyway, those two are some of the best bios I have read recently. I love true life stories!