Mza's Reviews > Citizen Rex

liked it
bookshelves: 2011
Recommended to Mza by: Comics Journal
Read from August 15 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Ungenerous hypothesis: Mario's text is denser than what Gilbert would have written on his own because Mario can't draw as vividly. His words have further to go to complete the scene. When Mario's writing and Gilbert's drawings team up, as they do here, the text ends up weighing too much. Page 63, on which crime boss Mambo's super eye accidentally melts off half of a business associate's head, stands out -- the characters' speech is clipped, and their acting (faces + gestures) does the heavy lifting. I'm sure the book would have been at least twice as long if it had pursued this method throughout. What we get instead is expository voiceover and expository dialogue on top of Gilbert's signature soap operatic action. Unapologetic B-movie corn and offhand techno-mysticism from Los Bros don't surprise me, but I always expect them to go further than paying homage to their boyhood inspirations. The civil rights subplot here doesn't have much more depth or breadth than what Stan Lee would have come up with in the 1960s; but it could have, if the story had been stretched to a more natural length. The sense of claustrophobia I got from navigating Citizen Rex 's large ensemble cast and the collision of their various political aims will stay with me after I've forgotten what those political aims are.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Citizen Rex.