Lanica's Reviews > Caillou: The Prince

did not like it
bookshelves: childrens-picture-books, read-in-2011, reviewed
Recommended for: NO ONE!
Read on August 27, 2011

What? Really? Who thought this was good subject matter for a picture book...really!

Look at the picture...what would you expect this book to be about? A boy and his father...fantasy realms...maybe some dragons? It's not!

Caillou, a four-year-old boy, sees his mom and dad kissing and asks why mommy doesn't kiss him that way. The father tells a story about a prince who wants to marry his mother, but the Queen, the King and the old wise dragon all say, A boy cannot marry his mother. He should marry someone his own age. And so the prince goes out to play with a princess at the next castle over. At the end of the story Caillou asks if the prince and the princess get married. The end.

What? It doesn't explain anything. It never answers his question...and who really expects a four-year-old to ask the question - or understand the answer, anyhow?

I have been letting my kids pick out their own library books for a while now (four-year-old twin boys) and every once in a while a book wonders in that is really weird. I read it anyway...they may learn something. We have read all about Leukemia and breast cancer because they read the word mom or mommy and had to have it. This one had a dragon on the back cover - so we picked it up. This may be the first book I would not have let them have on content alone. Really, did I need to draw their attention to how my husband and I kiss? Do I want them to think about being jealous of their dad? I feel dirty having just read it...and so disgusted by the images it may have planted in my kids heads that I had to review it as a warning to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caillou.

Tracy Rush Totally agree with you! Creepy!