Nikki's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling

Apr 04, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, own, magic, ya, 2012
Read from April 01 to 03, 2012

*sigh* The charm has worn off and the all too common hype monster has been wrong again! I found the first few books of the series charming but they were not reinventing the wheel by any means. By book four Rowling isn't even reinventing her OWN wheel. Book 4 was tedious and far too lengthy (where the hell was the editor?). I just cannot come to care for any of the characters, especially Mr. Special (aka HP), and shouldn't I care by book 4?

Some aspects of these books are just entirely too repetitive. You have the beginning with HP's evil family, his fat cousin yadda yadda. Then you get to go to Hogwarts and there is a first year ceremony yadda yadda. Hagrid has some crazy creature, the school needs a new dark arts teacher, Malfoy is mean to poor little HP. In the end HP is the victor and he ends up going home to, you guessed it, the mean family. Blech. Wouldn't it be nice if maybe, I don't know, a book took place in the summer or something?? Such confining plot points Rowling!

The Quidditch tournament was the feature of the first 130+ pages (seriously?) and it was mind-numbingly boring. Okay Rowling you invented a tedious, screwed up sport and now you want to bore us to tears with it. I don't want to READ a freakin play-by-play of any sport, especially not a made up one! Hockey is my absolute favorite sport but you will not catch me reading play-by-play of it! No! And the Quidditch is so freakin corrupt too, WTF is that saying to the kids reading the books?? And then after the tournament is over we get to go to Hogwarts, *oh joy*.

The "plot", if you wish to call it that, in this one was rather weak. And the length of the novel did nothing to help. This one could have easily been as long as the previous three without anything of import being taken out. Such as the "romantic" drama and the dance in the book, really? Totally unnecessary. The "evil" guy in this one could have done such a simple thing to accomplish his goal and instead we had to sit through 700+ pages to get to the end. Oye. (view spoiler)

And the worst part of this book and a fault of the others? Harry Potter. My god he is dull. Why does he have to be the center of attention? Hermione is by far a more interesting character since she actually,*gasp*, has some depth. What the hell does HP have? A scar? Weird friends? A crazy family history? Sure these facts may be interesting but HE is NOT. Another issue with HP is the fact that you know in the end that no matter what happens HP will be fine. You never truly fear for him and therefore are never convinced of what is happening. It leaves you feeling annoyed rather than anything positive because you cannot help but think "Who or What is going to save poor little Harry now?" Sure in other series you KNOW the character will survive because there are x number of books published/planned, but in the good ones you don't quite know how the character is going to actually come out in the end....*gasp* they might actually be altered in some way! NOOOO Oh and who the hell didn't know that Harry would be in the wizard tournament? Age restriction? Pfft! Not for precious HP, the personality-less wonder! Someone please tell me HP dies in the end? Oh forget it, I know that would never happen.

I am so tired of HP and Hogwarts and the predictability that I don't know if I will even finish the series at this point. I've been told that the story real takes off in book 4 and gets darker. To that I say HA!
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

04/02/2012
20.0% "Wish I cared about the characters more."
04/02/2012
51.0% "Meh"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Kate. (new)

Kate. LOL.. Great review, mind you i have never read HP but you summed up why ive always felt the need to avoid it.

Nikki Thanks Kate. I am definitely in the minority here! I think only 2 percent rated it like me or something like that. Nearly everyone gave it a 5 and said it was soooo good. After reading it I was like WTF were they on? LOL Oh I avoided HP for a long time too, I've said for years that they should take HP and Lord of the Rings and burn every movie copy. Ugh. I haven't seen an HP movie and don't plan on it. The only reason I've read the books was out of curiosity and because Matt said I should. The first couple books hold charm but it definitely wears off. So yeah, you're not really missing anything much in my opinion. Read book 1 if you get really curious but you can stop after that lol.

message 3: by Kate. (new)

Kate. Reading LOTR would be total hell for me. Every year the movies came out my family dragged me along to see them. The whole time i justed wanted the effin ring to go into the fire. When it finally happened i was not happy or relieved because im like " ive watched all these movies just for this " so i side with you 100% . I dont think i could read HP. I have the first book only becuase i won it. Many peeps love them, each to their own

Nikki OMG you had to see every LOTR movie?!?! Oh gosh I totally feel for you!! I was dragged to one of them and it was the longest freakin three hours of my life!! I vowed NEVER AGAIN!!! Ugh, terrible. I hate those damn hobbits...go away! I still tried reading The Hobbit by Tolkien (apparently a preview of sorts for LOTR things to come) due to Matt's request and ugh....annoying. I don't get the fascination with either of them, HP or LOTR. Sure some people will love them but why are they global and so freakin popular beyond imagination?!?! I just don't get it. And then people compare other things to them all the time (which works out okay if they compare them positively I know to stay away lol). As you say, to each their own...but still....I question them LOL.

Izzat Zainal I am halfway and I loved the previous three but this one just fall down flatly for me right now. Right, Harry Potter is always the center of attention.

Synesthesia (SPIDERS!) I don't know if he turns out fine at the end. Dude ends of Traumatized for Life. There's a good reason why they couldn't just use a portkey. It's a boarding school. There's barely any privacy. Even if you go to the bathroom there's 5 or 10 other kids in there. If say, they turned his pillow into a portkey, that would have been noticed. Moody just grabbing Harry, sending him to his office and making him touch a portkey would have been noticed too and Harry would have gone, what? No way. I will not touch that manky boot. ESPELLIARMUS or however that is spelled and he would have called professors for help.

Yes, the tournament was more elaborate, but it made sense in the context.

Tolkien books are kind of... like cheese cake. Very thick and a bit hard to swallow without milk.

Keisha I just love when people write long reviews to talk down about a book. seriously just go read another book.

Nikki I just love when people come to bitch about someone's opinion. Seriously, just go read another review.

message 9: by Kate. (new)

Kate. Freedom of speech and opinion and all that
You are up early Nik's

Reading_is_life I have to disagree, but of course everybody has their opinion. I know not everybody can love the HP books as much as I did. But it is hard for me to believe someone can dislike them this badly. I loved the writing style, and i loved how you could feel through the entire books that it was leading up to something big. I loved Hogwarts and I loved the idea that one book is one semester. I do not think Harry is boring, he is dealing with the fact that someone wants to kill him and the fact that a part of Voldemorts soul has located itself in Harry. I love the fact she planned the entire story from the beginning and you can just feel that through the entire series, to sum it up, I LOVED! Harry Potter,
Agree to disagree?