Janny's Reviews > Black Swan Rising

Sep 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011, english-reading, transworld-book-group
Read from August 27 to September 02, 2011

Black Swan Rising is my second book in the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge and it's very different from the previous one. This one is an urban fantasy novel. It's about Garet James (actually her name is Margaret) and she's a jeweler. The story begins when she visits an antique store. The strange thing is that she's very familiar in this neighborhood and yet doesn't remember the store at all. The owner seems to know her and gives her a small vintage silver box. The box has got a crest that's nearly identical to the one on Garet's ring and medallion. The box is sealed and she makes a deal with the owner of the store that she'll open the box, bring it back and then she will get the seal and thousand dollars. Garet takes the box home and opens it. As from this moment things start to change. Something's got out of the box that better should've stayed there….

I thought participating in the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge was a great opportunity to try a different kind of book. I did read a fantasy novel by Kim Harrison earlier this year but it was hard to understand because you really needed to know a lot about witchcraft, witches, fairies and elfs. Which I don't. But Black Swan Rising is different. Of course you know that vampires don't exist but Lee Carroll makes you almost believe they do. Everyone knows enough about vampires to understand Will Hughes' behavior. And there are some other demons and supernatural creatures that you really won't see on a normal day but Carroll makes it very easy to imagine what they look like. It's an entertaining novel that's easy to read. You get into the story right from the beginning. It's got action, drama, a love-story and excitement. I enjoyed reading it although it's not my favorite kind of book. That's the main reason why I give three stars.

For those of you that don't know, Lee Caroll is a pseudonym for Carol Goodman and Lee Slonimsky, her husband.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Swan Rising.

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne I'm not into fantasy and the sort either but your review makes me very curious.