Jesse's Reviews > Enchantment

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

Jan 26, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, fairy-tales, favorites, historical-fiction, magic
Read on September 16, 2011, read count: 3

An awesome modern-day fairy tale told by a very good writer. Seriously, what's not to love in this book? Likable characters, magic spells, far away lands, a blend of two different time periods, and characters that change. And aside from a pretty darn good story, I loved the philosophies of the book and I'd stay up late at night just thinking about it.

I love this book for three main reasons:

1) It's full of one-liners that convey deep philosophies and true-to-life statements that I heartily agree with.

2) I love the theme of paradigm shifts in this book as it explores two people who both crossover into different worlds, experience a huge culture shock, adapt, and learn from their experiences.

3) I love how it shifts between Ivan and Katerina's thoughts and shows how we easily misinterpret what other people do/say/think.

I would not recommend this book to a lot of people, however, because Orson Scott Card does push the boundaries and there are some things in this book that may make others uncomfortable to read, but if you can handle it, I'd recommend it with all my heart.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantment.

09/16/2011 page 52
12.0% "Okay, so I know I don't have a whole lot of time to read now, so it will probably take me a while to read this, but I'm about 50 pages in now and it is really good now: foreign lands, likable characters, family values, love, and magic spells - who could ask for more?!"
09/16/2011 page 52
12.0% ""Okay, so I know I don't have a whole lot of time to read now, so it will probably take me a while to read this, but I'm about 50 pages in now and it is really good now: foreign lands, likable characters, family values, love, and magic spells - who could ask for more?!""
09/18/2011 page 73
17.0% "It just keeps getting better!"
09/21/2011 page 152
35.0% "This is why I don't like reading books when I'm in school ,especially if it's good: because I only have a limited amount of time I can spend reading, yet I want to finish the story! So far, this book is really good!"
01/25/2012 page 284
66.0% "I love this book so much!"
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenny Bates Really great book!