Kristine's Reviews > Love You Forever

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch

Feb 22, 14

bookshelves: picture-books, i-own, kids-lit

Love you forever, Stalk you for always . . . .

Ok, I don't want to get any hate mail from this review . . . let me say first that I understand this is an allegory about unconditional love between parent/child . . . but does this book come off a little creepy to anyone else?

1) It starts out ok . . . but about the time the kid gets to be a teenager I just start to feel uncomfortable. Would I be ok with my mom slipping into my teenage brothers' rooms while they're sleeping to cuddle and sing a love song? No, probably not.

2) I think it's weird there's only female figures mentioned (mom and grandma). Where's the dad? (later when the mom is sick the only pictures on her wall are of the kid, no husband or parents -- again, kinda weird) And later on in the book when the kid is grown up where is the mom to his baby (his wife--wouldn't she be in the kitchen helping him cook?)? Why is a grown man with a baby sleeping in a single bed?

3) This mom I seriously think has issues with letting her children go. Once a man gets married the woman in their life isn't you--it's the wifey! And when children grow up and become adults and you should have an adult-to-adult relationship with them. Quit trying to cuddle them!

4) When it gets to the part of the old woman tying a ladder to her roof and driving across town with the lights off, then sneaking in the son's window to cuddle and sing the love song --- I just want to scream, " AAAGH, she's coming!! Lock the windows!! RUN!!!" creee-py!

5) Okay, just think about if this dad goes on to have the same behavior with his own daughter. The dad sneaking in on the teenage daughter to hold her, or later on when she's married he's climbing through her window to her bed????

6) I really don't think it's good writing. With children's books I like them to have rhyme and rhythm and be easy to read. I felt like I was stumbling over words.

7) Despite all this Ellie still likes the book, and I see the point it's trying to make, although I don't agree with the method. And I know I'm being too literal, but seriously if you look at this book literally it will give you nightmares!!! Just for fun read it to someone purposefully trying to be creepy - just as an experiment. Trust me, you'll agree with me after that.

Darik doesn't necessarily like it when I call the book:

Love you forever,
Stalk you for always . . .

But I do anyways :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love You Forever.

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I love it, and I think there was a deep down part of me that I never wanted to acknowlege that felt the same way! I think there is a sense of thinking and feeling that way about your children, grown, or un-grown (if that's a word), but the actual action is a little much. Whatever happened to a telephone call, or a Hallmark card. Maybe the mom needs a hobby, like scrapbooking.

Kristine or blogging. or goodreads.com.

message 3: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Kristine, I totally agree with you. I have never liked this book. Do you want to know what is even freakier?? My cousin read this to her husband at their wedding! Now how does that apply??? Anyway, I am glad to finally hear that someone else doesn't like this book.

message 4: by Hilary (new)

Hilary I have to agree with you Kristine, especially since my sister said the author is a Freud fan and wrote this book to be about the Oedipus complex (not sure if that's true). But I don't completely dislike the author because I like his The Paper Bag Princess (and Mud Puddles is okay too).

message 5: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Your post made me laugh out loud. I love your love you forever, stalk you for always.

I think I have mixed emotions about the book. Because it can get me teary eyed, and yet I always thought it excessive too.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 22, 2008 06:12PM) (new)

I used to like this book when I was like 4 but now that I'm older it makes me laugh in a freakish, creeped out kind of way. I mean the part with the ladder-??? What if the guy's wife walked in (If he has one) while she was cuddling? I think the son should refer his mom to a mental health doctor or get a restraining order or something. By the way, your comment made me laugh out loud. I love it!

message 7: by Annette (last edited Apr 22, 2008 06:41PM) (new)

Annette Like Wendi, I have mixed feelings about the book. I used to read it to Kenny and Tambre when they were little, Kenny is now 18 and Tambre is 16. I even made up a little melody to go with the little song so I could sing it to the kids whenever I read the book and then when I got to the end I would get too choked up to read. Yeah... now you know what a sap I am. Kenny and Tambre used to ask me to read it over and over and I got so sick of it that I hid it. It's been on the bookshelf for years now and I don't think that I've ever read it to any of the younger kids. If I had been on goodreads about 16 years ago I probably would've given it 5 stars, but now... I don't know, I don't enjoy it as much.
I was totally laughing out loud while I was reading your review Kristine. I thought it was so funny I read it to Randy and we were both laughing. Love you forever, stalk you for always - what a crack up!

Sandi Our pastor read it in church on Mother's Day. I just told my son and husband that it was just creepy. I called the mom "Stalker Mom" and came up with nearly every objection you have listed in your review. Every one. This story just doesn't hold up to the slightest critical analysis.

It makes me cry anyway. I'm so stupid.

message 9: by Kristen (last edited Mar 18, 2009 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kristen Jorgensen Kristine I am with you. I have never liked this book and like the love you forever stalk you for always bit. Couldn't put it better myself. There are much better books out there for showing appreciation, love, and commitment.

★ Jess Kristine, this is a kids book. A toddlers book.
No one will notice.
AS for a mother wanting to be close to her son for her whole life, at least their love never dies.
Its a great, childrens, fiction and picture book.
Not a biography and facts of life.
Lay off, and enjoy it.

message 11: by Kristine (last edited Feb 03, 2011 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kristine Thanks, random stranger :-) ! Try reading this out loud - trying to be creepy - to another person and it takes it to a whole new level!

message 12: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Bunkley creepy. definitely creepy

Kristine This was read by the speaker today at church over the pulpit (mother's day). Darik and I laughed through the whole thing. When he summarized how the mother followed the son to adulthood to show her love, we noticed the part of sneaking through the window was left out at church.

Nina Gayle I love your phrase, "stalk you for always" because if you focus on the literal action of the book, it is like stalking and weirdly inappropriate. However, if you focus on the message and see the actions as symbolic, you receive a beautiful message of unconditional love from one generation to the next. The weirdness makes it interesting.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I too, have mized feelings of this book. When I first saw the cover, I wanted to stay far away from this book.
But then my sister forced me to read it.
The illustrations...weren't the best, but think about it, this book was published in 1986!
Sure, it was repetetive, but this is a children's book, and even though they notice it, it kind of emphasizes things.
What I really love though, was the love in this book. Even though the mother really thought her son was annoying the day time, she still loved him and showed how she loved him at night. I thought it was sweet.
Perhaps going through a ladder is a bit dramatic, since I don't think she would be able to make it all the way up, but once again, this is a children's book, and the fact that she would go through all this trouble makes it better for me.
My favourite part was the ending, because after all that time, he did what she did for him when he was young, and now he will do it for his daughter.

P.S.
Please don't give me any hate mail and replies, but I think the 'stalk me always' comment was a bit harsh. She's his mom, and still, when you put it this way in a book, I don't see a problem.

message 16: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger Kristine, your review and comments are too funny! I find this book creepy as well. It's horrible and no amount of "it's fiction, it's a kids book, it's about looooove!" will make it uncreepy. Ew. Ick.

message 17: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger @ Jessica, I consider "love" showing someone while they're AWAKE for one. Rocking a grown man while they're asleep can be considered many things but love probably isn't high on the list for many people.

message 18: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Peterson My ex husband got this book in one of those deals where they send you a bunch of books. He gave it to my daughter with the rest of the books. I was reading it to her and I had to stop. My sister found it at my moms, and they all read it, and I came in for a family dinner and they were like "um you have a creepy book" I knew what they were talking about right away. I looked the book up later and read it was on a list of the worst books to read to your child lol. It is odd.

message 19: by Soua (new) - rated it 5 stars

Soua DUDE WTF

message 20: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily I feel the same as most of you people. I thought it was creepy but there were parts that I related to emotionally. My husband almost cried. Its a weird how this books makes people feel such different emotions.

Carolyn Yes! Thank you! I have thought for years that this was a very creepy story!

Rhiannan G I find it creepy now, but when my mom read it to me when I was a kid, I thought it was sweet.

Slarroque24 This book is totally creepy! Plus I can totally see my mother in law climbing a ladder to hold my husband at night. This book is horrid.

message 24: by Meltem (new)

Meltem wonderful:-)

Marlene I understand how it can seem really creepy, but I've just never taken it literally. I always saw the mother sneaking in and singing as a metaphor for her always being around and always caring about her son, even though he grew up to have his own life, separate from her. Just like my mom loves me and takes an interest in my life, even though I'm usually off doing my own thing. Of course she'd never sneak into my room at night, but she thinks of me, and that's what matters. This is one of her favorite books, and one of mine too. We still sing the song to each other on occasion.

message 26: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy Rumple THANK YOU! I think it's the creepiest book ever!

Bathysphere ★ Jess wrote: "Kristine, this is a kids book. A toddlers book.
No one will notice.
Its a great, childrens, fict..."

Actually, I was read this book as a small child, and it made me feel really uncomfortable. It also added to my fear that my parents would disappear or die.

message 28: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It is a little weird when the mother climbs a ladder and slips through the window, but I still love it.

message 29: by Richard (new)

Richard This is so creepy I wanted to throw it out as soon as I read it. It made my skin crawl.

message 30: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah Imperial :)

Karen Leyland I think this a lovely little story that demonstrates the way our roles change. Call me simple or creepy but if you have experienced the role changes perhaps you would feel differently.

message 32: by Lisa (new) - rated it 1 star

Lisa Mcbroom I think the creepiest scene is when the boy is a teenager and the mom is crawling along the floor!!! CREEPY!!!!!

message 33: by Wendy (new)

Wendy I had to get on and read this after book club tonight! It was nice meeting you.

message 34: by Shelby (new) - added it

Shelby Mai I completely agree! I didn't like this at all! But I got emotional when I read it.. It was something about it. It was just weird.

message 35: by Norma (new)

Norma lol you must not have kids.

Kristine Actually I do :)

message 37: by Maia (new) - rated it 1 star

Maia Yep.

message 38: by Norma (new)

Norma :(

Kristine One of my recommendations for a book about unconditional love for a child is Let Me Hold You Longer. So awesome with out one ounce of creep-factor :-)

message 40: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin *right in the childhood*

I never thought about it this way before...Y U RUIN IT FOR ME?

message 41: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Go ⭐Jess! This is true unconditional love! Sure, climbing through your grown son's window is a little... abnormal... but really? Who'll pay attention to that when you really think about it.

message 42: by Jori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jori I gave this book 5 stars because when I had it read to me as a kid I really liked it but when I read it a few years ago on my own I found it pretty creepy too. I still gave it 5 stars for my nostalgia.

Hulagurl Aloha Kristine ~

I've been a single mom since my boys were one and three. After the turmoil of leaving an abusive situation, the continuity of still having their favorite book was comforting for my boys. Now that one of them is a daddy and my other son will be one soon, I know this book will be a staple in their children's' bookshelves, if only because it reminds them of a time when they finally felt completely safe and loved.

Mahalo ke Akua.

Ke'ala
Kīhei, Maui, HI 96753

Kristine I'm glad you found something that provided comfort at a difficult time.

There are hundreds of books about unconditional love out there. I find comfort in other ones that don't creep me out, that don't represent a cycle of abuse to me.

To each their own.

Joshua Piorier I always saw this book as the mother expressing her unconditional love to her child that her child could understand, not that she did or would do that. Most times a mothers love is untouchable and this story backs that up to a growing child. I also heard that the author Robert Munsch wrote this as tribute to his 2 still-born children. Personally, I thought the book was nice but if you read this book with a closed mind, I can see why this book may seem "creepy"

Hulagurl Well said Joshua!

Kristine Well I'm glad you feel better about yourself now for insulting people who have different opinions about a book than you. Why would you care that someone doesn't like something that you like? Right? Who cares if I don't agree with you. Let it go, people, let it go.

Life is so much easier if you don't get all up in arms when people don't like something you love. Believe me, you'll be able to sleep better at night.

message 48: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Kings Kristine please read this:

message 49: by Jori (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jori I think everyone needs to take a step back. I gave this book 5 stars but I still respect that Kristine has the right to her own opinion and I would never call her closed-minded just because she has a different rating/point-of-view than me.

message 50: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars