Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Christmas Shoes

The Christmas Shoes by Donna VanLiere

Aug 27, 11

bookshelves: christmas
Read in August, 2011

Okay, I'm a Christmas freak. There really is no other way to put it. I just love everything about Christmas: the ambience, the decorations, the nice, cold winters, the food, the music (that I start to listen to in September), the movies (that I tend to watch all year round), and so much more. Except for the Christmas books. For some reason, I have yet to find a Christmas book that I truly love (in the interest of full disclosure I will say that I have yet to read A Christmas Carol. I know...). Unfortunately, The Christmas Shoes was no exception.

I didn't mind the cliches, I didn't mind the heartwarming-ness that can sometimes make people want to gag, I didn't mind the sweetness. What I did mind was the fact that apparently I was supposed to feel something for these characters, yet I couldn't because they weren't at all developed. Every single character fell into their stereotypic roles. And sometimes I can deal with that. But in The Christmas Shoes I couldn't because there was just nothing other than the stereotypical characters there. I'm supposed to feel depressed, at first, because of all that sad things that were happening and then feel oh so happy when the resolution rolled around. Maybe I would have...if the characters weren't paper thin development wise. But since they were, I didn't feel anything for any of them and in turn, I didn't feel what I was supposed to be feeling while reading the book.

So, unfortunately, I found The Christmas Shoes to be a huge disappointment. I just didn't find anything reedemable about it. It was a quick page-turner, but mostly because the book is so short. It would have been better with a couple hundred more pages to flesh some of the characters out. I, however, will still check out the movie as it seems eons better than the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Shoes.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Christina Have you read "Skipping Christmas" by John Grisham? I think there is also a movie. I thought it was a cute book. I haven't seen the movie.

Alisha Marie I read Skipping Christmas a few years ago and think I rated it three stars. I liked it enough and thought it was okay. It just didn't blow me away. But I am still determined to find a Christmas book that I love.